News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gentlemen

Picture from old collection, can anybody help identify the recipient of this bar.

Bulgarian Order St. Alexander w/swds on ring knight 1st type German make

1879 Coronation medal ( 51 awarded )

Russia Alexander lll Zeal medal on St. Stanislaus ribbon

1866 Bavaria War Cross

Prussia 1870 War Medal for Combattants

Roumanian Faithful Service Medal ( 1st type )

Serbia Zealous Sevice 1877-78 War

Turkish Order Medjidie 5th Class

Perhaps a soldier of fortune who fought in 4 foreign armies and later became a bodyguard or aide to Alexander l during State Visits to receive other medals. Any info would be fascinating to know.

Sincerely

Yankee

• 3 months later...

Hallo Yankee :beer: ,

Stunning bar, congratulations on obtaining it :jumping: Interesting to see the Romanian Medal, although I have been told that these were issue for the Civil Service, :unsure: something that has to be checked out, perhaps Carol I can fill us in on that particular item.

As far as I know it came in two class Ist in Gold, IInd in Silver.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Yankee :beer: ,

Stunning bar, congratulations on obtaining it :jumping: Interesting to see the Romanian Medal, although I have been told that these were issue for the Civil Service, :unsure: something that has to be checked out, perhaps Carol I can fill us in on that particular item.

Hi Kevin

Too bad we can't put a name to the bar certainly served Prince Alexander in what exact capacity remains to be a mystery, certainly a man with a taste of adventure. The Rumanian medal was for faithful service 2nd class 1st type most likely for a State Visit as had been suggested :D

Interesting to see the Romanian Medal, although I have been told that these were issue for the Civil Service, :unsure: something that has to be checked out, perhaps Carol I can fill us in on that particular item.

Unfortunately I do not have that much information on the Romanian medals. The Romanian Loyal Service Medal in the bar appears indeed to be the second class (silver) of the first type established by King Carol I. I will try to see if I can find something on the award criteria for this medal, but I doubt that it will advance very much the search of the name of the original owner of the bar.

Unfortunately I do not have that much information on the Romanian medals. The Romanian Loyal Service Medal in the bar appears indeed to be the second class (silver) of the first type established by King Carol I. I will try to see if I can find something on the award criteria for this medal, but I doubt that it will advance very much the search of the name of the original owner of the bar.

By chance would you have any of the medal rolls for what is on the bar. Perhaps only a handful of Germans would have received the 2nd class 1st type.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hello Yankee

very nice medal bar with a very stunning combination of orders and medals :speechless:

My guess would be that this is a diplomats bar, maybe a military atachee or something like that, I will try to look up the Serbian medal for the Zealous Service if there are any notes on awardings to foreign persons.

regards

Milan

Hello Gentlemen

Picture from old collection, can anybody help identify the recipient of this bar.

Bulgarian Order St. Alexander w/swds on ring knight 1st type German make

1879 Coronation medal ( 51 awarded )

Russia Alexander lll Zeal medal on St. Stanislaus ribbon

1866 Bavaria War Cross

Prussia 1870 War Medal for Combattants

Roumanian Faithful Service Medal ( 1st type )

Serbia Zealous Sevice 1877-78 War

Turkish Order Medjidie 5th Class

Perhaps a soldier of fortune who fought in 4 foreign armies and later became a bodyguard or aide to Alexander l during State Visits to receive other medals. Any info would be fascinating to know.

Sincerely

Yankee

By chance would you have any of the medal rolls for what is on the bar. Perhaps only a handful of Germans would have received the 2nd class 1st type.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hallo Yankee :cheers:

if you are refering to Romanian Royal Medal Rolls, I dont think there are any, unless buried in the vaults of the Romanian Army Museam, that is if they survived through the Communist period (approx' 1947 - 1998), but on that I could be mistaken.

I will send an email to a chap who works there and see what he knows or dosent know.

To my knowledge there are no published rolls of the Romanian awards, except for the Military Order of Michael the Brave. However, there is some chance that some award lists are in the archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that administered the Chancellery of Orders at that time.

Hello Carol l & Orden Master

Identification of this bar has remained a mystery for a very long time, any light you can shed in helping to identify the group would be a marvel :D

WHY ROMANIAN ? BULGARIAN !!! :unsure:

Of course. Sorry. Never type before maxmizing coffee intake! :speechless:

To rephrase:

Novice question: Why are we thinking and talking of this as a "German" bar? It looks pretty Bulgarian to me. Not all medals are "German", after all?

Sorry. :speechless::speechless:

Novice question: Why are we thinking and talking of this as a "German" bar? It looks pretty Romanian to me. Not all medals are "German", after all?

Hi Ed

Good question. Was really not sure where to place the bar, seeing the German medals were the earliest that were received, assumed he was a German

So, now we also have to consider was he a Prussian, with the Bavarians in 1866 or a Bavarian with the Prussians in 1870 - 1871 as well as having the oppertunity to swan around the Balkans and Russia picking up some shiny doo-daa's along the way. :speechless1:

Theres never a psychic around when you need one :P "The game is afoot, Watson, what ho!"

Theres never a psychic around when you need one :P "The game is afoot, Watson, what ho!"

Kevin,

Now that WW2PO is no longer amongst us, you certainly have a point there.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

post-2110-1169872379.jpg

One might judge the bar as belonging to a Bulgarian since the Bulgarian decorations appear in the first place, but on the other hand the the ribbons do not have the trifold style used by Bulgarians. What is also strange is the position of the Ottoman order. Wasn't it supposed to appear before the foreign medals?

Or he's a Bulgarian who got lost (ran away from home?) and fought with the Germans for a bit, until he came to his senses?

And leave all that good German beer behind :cheers: not a chance.

Quote: "Theres never a psychic around when you need one :P "

Don't you start that again Kevin :cheers:

Beautiful bar Yankee - just the way I like them, exotic with that worn look and just the right amount of patina.

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Quote: "Theres never a psychic around when you need one :P "

Don't you start that again Kevin :cheers:

Beautiful bar Yankee - just the way I like them, exotic with that worn look and just the right amount of patina.

Regards, Hardy

You what! me! start sumfin, never said a word. . . . . :rolleyes: tee-totally innocent, honest injun!!! :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :P