News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

VVS Mechanic's School badge? Opinions please

There is another guy that thinks it is a copy, a legit "fake until proven real" opinion. However, all he seems to be dwelling in is the stud. Den has optimism and disagrees with him until all the angles are covered...

I was under the impression that Soviet badges with screw fasteners were breast insignia and that cap badges had the thin "bend-over" strips or wires as fasteners. This from a Russian collector.

A wonderful display of cap stars in the preceding scans - thank you for those, Gentlemen.

I have a hammer and plough pattern star, donated by an old soldier who had it from a Russian soldier in WW1. Mine has two "bend-over" strips at the back, but it was painted red, rather than enamelled. Unfortunately the paint is somewhat distressed, but I do not want to re-paint it.

I have also another, more elaborate star badge and would appreciate comments from anyone as to who wore it and on what. A scan is attached. The badge has a wingspan of 145mm and is in three pieces. The base looks to be cast silver metal wings on which is mounted hammer and wrench in thin brass. This may at one time have been chrome plated, but most of the plating has disappeared. The centre-piece looks to be a standard cap star. The whole is fixed on a central screw fastening and is shaped into a curve.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Thanks for the pic Belaruski! Now to find one....

Iteressting badge Brian. What size is it? I agree with Richie that it looks a bit like an air force-something. But the hammer/monkey wrench is the same shape as the railroad used. The enamel star is a common army as Richie pointed out. So what could it be????

/Kim

Thanks for the pic Belaruski! Now to find one....

Iteressting badge Brian. What size is it? I agree with Richie that it looks a bit like an air force-something. But the hammer/monkey wrench is the same shape as the railroad used. The enamel star is a common army as Richie pointed out. So what could it be????

/Kim

To me it looks like Avation Enginer :unsure:

Order of Victory

I was under the impression that Soviet badges with screw fasteners were breast insignia and that cap badges had the thin "bend-over" strips or wires as fasteners. This from a Russian collector.

A wonderful display of cap stars in the preceding scans - thank you for those, Gentlemen.

I have a hammer and plough pattern star, donated by an old soldier who had it from a Russian soldier in WW1. Mine has two "bend-over" strips at the back, but it was painted red, rather than enamelled. Unfortunately the paint is somewhat distressed, but I do not want to re-paint it.

I have also another, more elaborate star badge and would appreciate comments from anyone as to who wore it and on what. A scan is attached. The badge has a wingspan of 145mm and is in three pieces. The base looks to be cast silver metal wings on which is mounted hammer and wrench in thin brass. This may at one time have been chrome plated, but most of the plating has disappeared. The centre-piece looks to be a standard cap star. The whole is fixed on a central screw fastening and is shaped into a curve.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

I have just had a look in my copy of Soviet Army Insignia and it shows apic of it and its laabled as Aire Engener -1949 :unsure:

Order of Victory

"BTW who is Brian :unsure:"

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

"Brian" was the original poster of the badge in question. I think Richie mistakenly thought you were Brian when he asked you for the scan of the book. :rolleyes:

What book is it by the way? Haven't seen that one. :unsure: I know I need to get at least one on badges at some point. Hoping also something turns up that covers things like awards for the arts and such as I just got that one I'd posted in the Soviet theater and Performing Arts thread and I'm lost on that. Arrrrgh! :( Times like that make you realize just how much more one needs in their reference library. :P

Dan :cheers:

This book is M Furlan's Soviet Army Insignia: An illustrated guide for collectors.

It was first published in 1990, and as such it has to be said that it is far from complete, and occasionaly innacurate.

The best example being the picture of a Khasan battle badge labelled as being issued in 1934. Now Soviet intelligence was good, but not THAT good..

Edited by Belaruski

This book is M Furlan's Soviet Army Insignia: An illustrated guide for collectors.

It was first published in 1990, and as such it has to be said that it is far from complete, and occasionaly innacurate.

The best example being the picture of a Khasan battle badge labelled as being issued in 1934. Now Soviet intelligence was good, but not THAT good..

I am with Stoo on that one... However, it was one of the first out there, so cheers to it.

Many thanks for taking the time to make the scans, Order of Victory.

Here in the second image posted, is an image of an example of a Flight Engineer's badge, model of 1949. Strangely enough, this one has a pinback. Both of the two examples that I have owned in the past have had screwbacks. I assume that they were early examples... Chime in guys, please, if you know otherwise...

Back to the Furlan book; The one shown there, judging by it's width compared to the other badges shown, dates it from the late 1960s.

I still think that Brian's (thanks for the clarification Dan, and nice to "see you", by the way) badge is a handmade "trench-art" version of a 1930s era VVS Mechanic's school badge.

First image is a cover scan of a "just OK" reference about badges, in my opinion, of course. This particular book is out of print, but I have noticed that a few do come up for sale every so often on ebay or from guys like Alexei Merezhko.

I believe that Igor Moiseyev's collectrussia.com sells a more accurate and comprehensive reference book about badges on the website called "Avers"(?).

In any case, we seem to be deviating from the topic of cap stars here... Perhaps the moderator can do a bit of editing/moving/merging so as to keep us "on track"?

Edited by RichieC

the thing is definitely handmade. and I bet it will be proven if the badge will be disassembled: you'll see the way how the screw is welded to the star. I am talking about that large sign, not yours, Rich.

And -

Hallo all, I am finally with you.

Solved my tech problems insalling and running Opera browser.

Rich, Stoo, Doc - hands up you three! And glad to see you again - and here!

Sorry for Off-Topic (SOT)