News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Glory 2nd and 3rd Group

Folks.... have been collecing Soviet orders and medals for 10 years now, and those of you who have also been at the hobby for a while know that the groups to vets from the war against Japan aren't (or weren't) hitting the market in great numbers.

Therefore, I was pleased when I was able to recently obtain this small Glory group (on left of display) to a private in a Recon company.

Edited by Gerd Becker

Private Vasiliy I. Ovchinnikov.

Joined the Red Army in Dec 1944 and, according to this orders book, received two personal awards in the GPW.

First -

Awarded the Order of Glory 3rd class (#182726) for actions on 14 April 1945 when, as part of a regimental assault near Klein Medenau (Konigsberg campaign) , Private Ovchinnikov thrust himself into an enemy trench, killing two enemy and taking a 3rd soldier prisoner (per citation).

His unit was part of the Soviet 5th Army, which played a major roll in assaults against the Japanese in Eastern Manchuria in Aug 1945.

Private Ovchinnikov was cited for participation in a reconnaissance group that conducted a daring raid 70 km into the enemy rear area from 09-12 Aug 1945 (kixking off the campaign) while attached to the 284th Independent Recon Company (215th Rifle Div, 5th Army ? Manchurian Campaign). His Order of Glory 2nd was originally a ?Red Banner? recommendation, but was changed to a 2nd class Glory at the Army level. Order of Glory 2nd class (#7984) was awarded in Sept 1945.

Thanks Ed - I just posted a quick summary of the citations... I have the orders book with the group as well.

Research came back and everything matches nicely... I just posted a summary of the citations. I only wish the citation for the 2nd class offered a little more (like geo-locational data) but then again, when one looks at maps of that conflict, the area the 5th Army operated in (especially behind enemy lines) doesn't offer a lot in the way of geographic landmarks. I found some interesting documents (Leavenworth stuff) via Google which conveyed how the 215th Rifle division and other elements of the 5th Army used platoon sized recon elements to launch the offensive deep behind enemy lines ...commencing 09 August - which matches the dates in the citation.

This group has been "around me" for several years - a close friend of mine purchased it during the "happy time" of Soviet collecting (circa 1998) from one of the reliable dealers we have worked with...

Sometimes, I long for those days..... :(

You are indeed fortunate. Very Nice group!!! IU am fortunate to have a complete group to a Colonel that spent his entire career in the Far East district including action with the Japanese.

:beer: Doc

Beautiful group zook! Combat citations for the war against Japan are tough to find. I've had a few LOGISTICAL citations, especially crossing Mongolia (where there was no water, anywhere) but combat ones are tough to find!!! NICE!

Doc - your group doesn't happen to be a Lenin and Red Banner group to an Air Force Colonel, does it? I just ask because the research and some of the documents were split from the group after I sold it and I have them... and am still trying to find their rightful home after all these years!!!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I am with everyone else here! The Glory bar is something special!! I am surprised that he was not advanced beyond Private!

Dear Paul,

I have seen a lot of Glory-decorated privates of the Red Army on photographs. Only a Glory 1cl promoted you automatically from a private to a sergeant and from a sergant to a sub-lieutenant.

Look at the case of Gefreiter (lance-corporal) Adolf Hitler in WW I: He had been courageous, got even the EK I, but was regared as too stupid for beeing promoted to the rank of a Unteroffizier (junior-sergeant) ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Guys...thanks for the comments..

Not intended to ignore the earlier replies... my job has been kicking my tail (long hours) and have been spending the weekends building a playground for my boys... I have the orders book and research ...will try to post them in the near term, as requested...

ps - this soldier entered the war late...another reason for the shortcoming in rank advancement...

regards, Dan (zook) :catjava: