News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Generalstabsarzt Prof. Dr. Dr. Ernst Koschel

• 9 years later...
    • 2 years later...
    Posted (edited)

Dr. Koschels topic countinued...

meanwhile I had the opportunity to scan some more of my great grandfathers pictures and documents and I hope they will be of some interest.

This is the office of the Fliegeruntersuchungsstelle (Aviators Examination Point) The officer to the left seems to be a certain Charles A. Lindbergh. Considering the objections by some members (see below) I must admit that I am in doubt now too if the person to the left is Mr. Lindbergh. The calendar on the table says 1935. Please accept my apologies for my perfunctory research.

Koschel_Ernst_1935_Fliegeruntersuchungsstelle.jpg

Nevertheless:

In 1938 Dr. Koschel had the honour to medically examine Mr. Lindbergh for the prolongation of the latters aviators licence. This is the report:

Untersuchungszeugnis Lindbergh.pdf

Edited by areim

Very interesting photo, my uncle managed to fool his examiner when he re-entered the Luftwaffe in 1935, as he suffered from 'Schielauge' and was blind in one eye. This did not stop him from being a successful Gruppenkommandeur later during the war.

You write "Charles E. Lindbergh", do you mean Charles A. Lindbergh? Thanks! What a great picture, but the Unteroffizier is not Lindbergh. He never had a hair cut like that, not even in 1938, when Göring presented him the the Order of the German Eagle with Star in October 1938. 

Hermann Göring presents a medal and a honour sword to Charles A. Lindbergh on 18 October 1938.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Göring presented Colonel Lindbergh with the Order of the German Eagle and a magnificent sword (surely a special edition) for Luftwaffe officers (Luftwaffenschwert) on 18 October 1938. Or maybe Göring is just showing him ones of his swords? Somehow looks like a Pour le Mérite handle. 

In order to extend his American and English pilot's license, Colonel Lindbergh visited the Fliegeruntersuchungsstelle of the Luftwaffe at the request of the American Embassy in Berlin and was examined by Oberstarzt Dr. Ernst Koschel. That would have been a sensational picture, but probably none were taken (trustworthy Arzt-Patienten-Verhältnis). 

LuftSword-2.jpg

Pour le Mérite Sword for Hermann Göring.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

On 09/01/2024 at 19:07, areim said:

Dr. Koschels topic countinued...

Areim, one question to your great-grandfather, please. Do you happen to know, although he retired 1944, if he endured any time as POW. Was he ever again Berufstätig after the war? Thank you! 

Thank you for your obejections concerning the picture. I edtited the post. 

9 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Areim, one question to your great-grandfather, please. Do you happen to know, although he retired 1944, if he endured any time as POW. Was he ever again Berufstätig after the war? Thank you! 

As far as I know my "ggf" stayed in permanent retirement after the war. He was at no time prisoner of war. It took some time for him to get denazified.