News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gentlemen,

Im not sure if the right place to put my question, but..here is go...

The ribbon bars of the German officers still a determined sequency ?? for importance ?? for date of receiving ?? Is there a list of this sequency ??

the reason of this question is : Im trying to recognise the decorations in some pictures of german officers,but they are small and in black and white,what it makes more difficult to identify.

Thx in advance , Regards

Here is a picture to show my difficulty :

(picture from Axis Biographical Research site)

Alexandre,

you found the absolutely best place for questions about ribbonbars with this forum. Yes, there is an order of precendence for the ribbons, but they differ from period to period and were not allways followed correctly.

Keep your eyes open for Rick Research?s new ribbonbar-article, it will be the best, you will be able to find about ribbonbars of WW1 and WW2. It will answer all your questions, i am sure.

And for the ribbons, check Lukasz Gaszewski?s website

http://www.medals.lava.pl/

I am sure, if you post a closeup of the ribbonbar, then Rick or someone else can help you with the identification of the ribbons.

best,

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Here is the regulation precedence for German awards as of January 1939:

This is from the 50th Anniversary Catalog of Steinhauer & L?cke from that month.

Germans (almost) always had regulations for (almost) everything. It all depends on who and where and when, because the rules kept CHANGING. The rules above were amended in 1942 with creation of the Ostmedaille, and there were other minor changes. But basically the above was the norm from 1935-45.

BEFORE 1935, it depended on which STATE the wearer belonged to. Each had its own rules.

BTW, if all you want is one specific officer's awards, it is easier to ask by his NAME. It's quicker to look him up by his name than flip through the three volumes of Luftwaffe Generals' biographies. You don't need to make bigger scans because all his WW1 awards show in pre-1933 Rank Lists. Easy enough to look up.

Hello Rick ,

Im very happy with your help :D

I have a list of Officers (Generalleutnants and Generalmajors) , but it?s litle big (49 names) what I want to identify the decorations. I would know if I can post the list here or send a PM to you.

Thx in advance

Best Regards

Alexandre

Hello Rick ,

Im very happy with your help :D

I have a list of Officers (Generalleutnants and Generalmajors) , but it?s litle big (49 names) what I want to identify the decorations. I would know if I can post the list here or send a PM to you.

Thx in advance

Best Regards

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

That is a HUGE task that you are asking. At best, this could take many MANY hours of research. My question is, have you tried looking any of these officers up yourself(Google search and etc)? I am sure that several people who specialize in this field would not mind helping with one or two officers, but to bombard someone with a list of 49 names to research is not right... unless you are willing to pay him an hourly rate.

Kind regards

Paul

Guest Rick Research

The very best thing to do is buy 1920s Rank Lists for the Reichsheer and Reichsmarine. You then have ALL WW2 Generals' Imperial era awards, as long as they served in the military between the wars.

Just bear in mind that Rank Lists do NOT list awards in the order that they were worn. :banger: Precedence regulations are entirely separate from how the annual lists showed decorations.

Hello Gentlemen,

Answering the various observations :

Im already searched the internet via Google and others sites for 2 years for these informations , but not successfuly in find any informations about the decorations of these 49 officers,

that?s the reason of my help call.

I do not intend to confuse nobody with a big list, I don?t demand ready service, if anybody is prepared to help me, I will be grateful with the availability of this person, even that it is to elucidate one by one of these officers

BTW, the list that?s I posted before , it?s not the same.

Regards

Alexandre

Edited by Alexandre

Research requires serious sources, as Rick delicately suggested, not the internet. The internet has nothing to do with "sources" and even less with "research". Those who have actually done it have some idea of the amount of time and money it consumes. Enjoy doing research, it is fun!

Hi,

Read the books is the most important thing to do. Rick is right, you used to buy the Reichsheer RL between 1924 and 1931. A lot of Generals during the WW2 were officers during this aera.

You can find another informations with severals website like this one

http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACH...ER/DasHeer.html

or this one

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/bio/...HeerS1.htm#Sche

Good research. If we can help we do it, no problem.

Regards

Christophe