News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Insignia identification

Hello

It's the second pattern armshield, of the "Terek Cossacks". I am not an expert in cloth insignia, so I can't tell you if it's original or not. It looks very similar to one I have seen depicted, in one of my reference books. "Uniforms and tradition", by John R. Angolia and Adolf Schlicht, vol 2.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Hi Greg :cheers:

can you offer any proof as to the originality of the item in question? Pictures, etc.

I find that just stating

"This is an original Cossack sleeve shield. The back is fine."
    too be to simple an explanation when iii reich related items are being faked mega big time. :banger:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

As I said, it doesn't resemble original BeVo badges I have seen. The reverse of original foreign volunteer armshields generally looks quite different. If this is original, Greg, I would be interested in learning about it. Perhaps you can expand?

PK

Ok, Here are some side by side examples(front and back of several bevo weave volunteer sleeve shields. As you will see, the back weave is different between them. As that is what seems to be the question here. all of these are original shields. Why the different back weaves? I don't know. Obviously different machines or weaving style.

Greg

wallon1.jpg

france1.jpg

indian1.jpg

ba1.jpg

tb1.jpg

As I said, it doesn't resemble original BeVo badges I have seen. The reverse of original foreign volunteer armshields generally looks quite different. If this is original, Greg, I would be interested in learning about it. Perhaps you can expand?

PK

Hi All -

To me, classic BeVo work looks like the Free Indian Legion armbadge and the Cossack badge beneath it, with the loose threads to the reverse - that's why I said the original Cossack badge did not look like BeVo to me. Doesn't mean it's "bad", I would just say it is not a classic BeVo style.

Don

[

Don,

I would agree, the classic bevo weave is that loose thread patteren. If that was the case then the wallonie and france shields we all see would be considered suspect. I just think that there are different weave patterens for these shields and not to take the back as a face value when observing them. Material and known construction "keys" we know from the front are what is important. I had over 60 volunteer shields at one time and there were differences in the back weave. They were all good. I guess you can look at the two weaves displayed here as akin to bevo and bevo-like when we talk about cufftitles. Both are different but both are correct.

Greg

Hi All -

To me, classic BeVo work looks like the Free Indian Legion armbadge and the Cossack badge beneath it, with the loose threads to the reverse - that's why I said the original Cossack badge did not look like BeVo to me. Doesn't mean it's "bad", I would just say it is not a classic BeVo style.

Don

[

Thanks for posting those, Greg. That's a nice FRANCE armshield. Very, very rare. Okay, as the late, great Bill Stump would have said, time for crow pie!

Je m'excuse, Michel! Il para?t que ton insigne est authentique. Pas "BeVo-Wuppertal" mais de l'?poque.

PK

Thanks to all for the participation and information now what is the value for this one, it is not my thema and I would like to sell it.

Prosper, pas de probl?me j'accepte bien volontier tes excuses tu en seras quitte pour un caf? ? la brasserie une prochaine fois :cheers: