News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

East German Cosmonaut (sp) Insignia?

Hi,

I was watching a version of the DDR National Anthem and noticed something odd... There was a photo at the 2min 25sec point, of an East German Astronaut with DARK blue or black Air Force style tabs and boards! Could there be DDR insignia specifically for space explorers? They are either black or Navy Blue in color, when compared to a medal he is wearing, which truly has a light blue ribbon!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnrkBDkHJwQ

Please let me know what you think!

Regards

Paul

Great stuff!!! Thank you Kevin! :cheers:

Did he have special insignia?

I have a photo somewhere of him wearing the Soviet cosmonaut badge and DDR cosmonaut medal somewhere. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Is that the photo you mentioned? :love:

What were your thoughts on his collar tabs and boards, as seen in the video?

I believe he was wearing the standard NVA Air Force "Gala" uniform. Which was a dress uniform for special occasions. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Thanks Kevin and Gordon!!

I have learned a lot from this thread!

I am surprised that he did not receive the Soviet Hero Title. I was not able to find his total listing of his medals. I bet that he had an impressive array!

Thanks Kevin and Gordon!!

I have learned a lot from this thread!

I am surprised that he did not receive the Soviet Hero Title. I was not able to find his total listing of his medals. I bet that he had an impressive array!

He did get the Soviet Hero Star and the usual accompanying Lenin. This is what he is getting from Brezhnev and he wears that star in the photo with mom.

All brotherly cosmonauts got that pair.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 years later...

In berlin, I have found this book : "Gemeinsam auf der Erde und im All" (Together off Earth and in Universe).

This book, published in 1979 by the Militarverlag der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik (Berlin), prefaced by the Armeegeneral Hoffmann, is the pictured story of Soyouz 31 with Sigmund Jaehn and Valery Bykowski (Soviet).

Ch.

There are many other pics in the book, but some similar have been posted, and they all show the same combination of awards, dated September 1978, when Sigmund Jaehn and Valery Bykowski landed back on earth.

Ch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Kevin posted this picture. It's interesting to see Genosse Jähn wearing a qualispange on his Gesellschaftsjacke (Gala Jacket). I have never seen it before... Was it permitted just for this famous Cosmonaut?

post-211-1179969423.jpg

Grüssle

Edited by Grenzflieger