News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Some old awards

Guest Rick Research

Magnificent!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

The ONLY other country whose designs are so consistently BEAUTIFUL is Belgium. The Baltic republics of the 1920s-30s are very close runners up (though they often had strange ribbon suspensions which made for awkward groups wear).

Anyone designing or approving decorations anywhere on our planet should look to the Serbian kingdom for what to do RIGHT.

If you wish to see a veritable array of Serbian pieces see ANS part 1 Morton and Eden 24-25/5/06. Which is available on mortonandeden.com and follow archived sales link. Included were a breast star of Milosh and a neck badge, various insignia of Takovo amongst others.

Paul

These are wonderful.

I hope you can make larger scans so the detail on these beautiful awards is clearer. (An Epson scanner works best for allowing you to easily control sizing and resolution).

I have NEVER seen a Milosh :love: before, and have not seen any grade of Takovo in 30 years. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, G.A Scheid was Austrian jeweller and when WWI started, the Serbians then used Hugenin (swiss),Bertrand (french) and even Zimmerman of Germany and a few other jewellers.

Many thanks Andy that clears a few points up.

All the best,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

as mentioned earlier most of the Serbian medals and awards befor WWi have been made in Vienna and are of the most beautiful orders in the world. During and after WWi most of manufactury of orders and medals are given to Arthus Bertrand in Paris.

It was in 1921 when Alexander Karadjordjevic took the reign from his father that he switched to Swiss production and most of the orders (spec. White Eagle, St. Sava and The Karadjordje star) have been made by Huguenin. Most of us beleive that this was Alexanders affinity to Switzerland as he passed a big part of his education time in Switzerland.

Best regards from Switzerland

M

Does any one know when Hugenin started manufactuing Serbian/Jugoslavian Orders? Presumably post unified Jugoslavian state.

Paul

as mentioned earlier most of the Serbian medals and awards befor WWi have been made in Vienna and are of the most beautiful orders in the world.

Dear Milan,

that means, that Vienna produced the most supreme quality in Serbian Orders & Medals :D .

Do the well known juwellers in Vienna still produce the old Serbian Orders on request, as they do with the old k.u.k. Orders :unsure: ?

When yes, is the quality of the "new" old Serbian Orders lower, despite the fact, that they use the old dies :unsure: ?

Is there a different market price for Serbian Orders made in Austria, France or Switzerland :unsure: ?

Many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hallo Christian, Guten Abend

Yes you are absolutely right the most beautiful work of the 1860-1914 are from Vienna jewelers as they have been a lot of well known names from that period like Scheid, Rothe, Fischmeister, Resch, V. Meyer and other, even partially unkown even by hard research.

None of the new jewelers in the moment is producing Serbian orders (as far as I know). They certainly would do the job but they would have to build new dies. Rothe was the last one selling his dies about 10 years ago the others are or disapeard or distructed. The same with Huguenin in the process of a hous keeping they have distructed the old Serbian dies :speechless: . Only a few (3 or 4 medal dies survived by surprise).

The quality of French or Swiss production is also pretty high and the items are well done but they never came approximatively near the FULL hand made piceces from Vienna. The manual craftmanship, (finish) in Vienna was unique you just have to look to the detail of the orders.

As the grade of rarety is not varying to much between the periods there are not too high price differences beetwen the A, CH or F made orders. Nevertheless the very early piecec thius 1860-1903 period (Obrrenovic) are higher priced than the other ones.

You are always welcome ! :cheers:

M

Dear Milan,

that means, that Vienna produced the most supreme quality in Serbian Orders & Medals :D .

Do the well known juwellers in Vienna still produce the old Serbian Orders on request, as they do with the old k.u.k. Orders :unsure: ?

When yes, is the quality of the "new" old Serbian Orders lower, despite the fact, that they use the old dies :unsure: ?

Is there a different market price for Serbian Orders made in Austria, France or Switzerland :unsure: ?

Many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

Christian

Lieber Milan,

many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

So, we people in Vienna can be proud with the craftmanship of our old "k.u.k Hoflieferanten" juwellers :D .

It's a sad story about the destruction of the dies :( .

Many thanks for sharing scans of your incredible collection of old Serbian awards with us :cheers: .

Christian

For anyone wanting information on the Order of Milosh the Great there is an extremely good OMSA monograph (No. 3) by Dragomir M. Acovic published in 1980 containing statutes, nominal lists of all the awards. It is interesting to note that it was only 9 times in the first class 22 times 2nd, 66 3rd and 128 4th so a geniunly very rare order in all classes. there are also pictures of all the classes with the exception of the 1st and 2nd class badges (So the sash badge illustrated is a very valuable image, there is also a picture of a warrant (that must be as rare as rocking horse manure). I was fortunate enough to purchase the monograph for the princely sum of $4 at the OMSA convention.

Paul

Hi Paul

yes the monograph is perfect but as it was published long time ago there are very few good copies turning arround. The last I saw on sale was more than 4 years ago. I have the whole monograph scaned and in pdf format. I am working on it to correct some errors in the original text and to put new pictures in it. But as always ........ times goes by . My dad who died 7 years ago always told me there are two things in your life you will always have the impression that you do not have enough its time and money and you will never have both togheter, maybe one or the other, maybe !!

And he was SO RIGHT !!!

Best regards

Milan

For anyone wanting information on the Order of Milosh the Great there is an extremely good OMSA monograph (No. 3) by Dragomir M. Acovic published in 1980 containing statutes, nominal lists of all the awards. It is interesting to note that it was only 9 times in the first class 22 times 2nd, 66 3rd and 128 4th so a geniunly very rare order in all classes. there are also pictures of all the classes with the exception of the 1st and 2nd class badges (So the sash badge illustrated is a very valuable image, there is also a picture of a warrant (that must be as rare as rocking horse manure). I was fortunate enough to purchase the monograph for the princely sum of $4 at the OMSA convention.

Paul

• 3 years later...