News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Round "3" test...

Does anyone know for sure, and without a doubt, who made them, besides Deschler? I've seen Ben Bijkers pinback variations of Deschlers,, then their are the Schinkel form crosses, and the early pinback variety, and that's just first classes. Please, if anyone knows something for sure, please don't leave us hanging. I've always suspected that their were several more than one maker due to the variances of these crosses in both first and second classes, but what makers is the $64,000.00 dollar question.

Edited by ekhunter

• 2 years later...

QUOTE(Biro @ Jun 21 2007, 05:53 ) Boerger & Co.

Marshall

Indeed.

In Pretoria a few years ago I saw a Legion Condor KIA group that came from the family with a round three marked 22 on the pin.

10 points to Marshall :-)

What happened to the pic ????

Hi Chris,

I sure hope it's still there, couldn't find it on WAF either.

The reason I am asking: on one of the German fora a member posted a "22" marked ek2, and I would like to compare the stamps.

You also mention a round 3 ek2 (marked)??

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by ben bijker

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the 22 on 3 round cross is punched in a 2nd time.

The Praesidialkanzlei nummer was applied in the middle of the 1944 until at the war finish.

Is known a 3 round is a early cross production, after a Schinkel Form (1939 - first months of 1940), the needle type is similar to a 1914 Eisernes kreuz late production and a Godet early type on DKiG.

Impossible to find a 3 round first or second class with a marking mark, early production - marking mark 1944/1945.

Is only a personal opinion.

Thanks

That was my first thought as well.

On the other hand: I have a Meybauer with a 1st type pin marked 7, and a 1st pattern Juncker ek2 clasp marked L/12.....

Although it isn't logical, and I have never see another marked round 3 cross, it MIGHT be genuine.

Unfortunally the pic isn't good enough to compare the markings without doubts....

Hi,

the 22 on 3 round cross is punched in a 2nd time.

The Praesidialkanzlei nummer was applied in the middle of the 1944 until at the war finish.

Is known a 3 round is a early cross production, after a Schinkel Form (1939 - first months of 1940), the needle type is similar to a 1914 Eisernes kreuz late production and a Godet early type on DKiG.

Impossible to find a 3 round first or second class with a marking mark, early production - marking mark 1944/1945.

Is only a personal opinion.

Thanks

Hi,

It can safely be assumed that this group has not been touched since the war.

The pilot had the Spanish cross in gold, and a whole bunch more, was killed during the war and the family moved to South Africa with the whole group.

It is in a collection of a man who knows and cares nothing about German awards, (he has a world class British/South African collection, victoria crosses etc.) This group is simply "there" because it came from the family and he loved the thought of a battle of britain pilot group.

The owner was not sure what the difference between a 1st and 2nd class was, had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it was a rounder, and had never noticed a makers mark.

There is no way on gods earth that that mark came onto the medal post war. It is in the first "post family" hands it has ever been in, happens to be someone who does not know or care what a rounder is and just "has" the group without knowing anything about WW2 German.

I don't have a dog in the fight as I don't own it and am not interested in WW2 anyway, so I don't want to spend my Sunday night defending this piece, but this is a fantastic and extremely rare maker marked rounder.

A funny note, I had it and a Victoria Cross on the tray to photograph.... in retrospect I dont know which is rarer...