News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1939 EKII MM-75

Hi All...

I haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought I would put one of my more recent EK pick-ups up for opinions. A maker marked '75', previously classified an 'unknown' maker, but now regarded to be made by Franke & Co. of L?denscheid (this is still being debated in certain circles). These crosses were considered one of the less seen makers, but lately they have been popping up a lot more frequently. (It makes me wonder!)

The '75' is a very distinctive looking cross with unusual beading and a very 'chunky' pyramidal/beveled swastika. It has a die flaw running horizontally across the beading on the lower left side of the 6 o'clock arm.

This one is a very clean example, with only a tiny piece of paint loss on the swastika, however, I think the swastika may have at some point been 'touched-up', as there seems to be a slight trace of a dribble from the base. Another tell-tale sign is a small paint blob on the suspension ring (see photo: just below the maker mark) which matches the paint colour exactly.

The suspension ring itself is bent out of shape, but not broken. It has on its reverse an unusual looking 'dot', which is not stamped, but raised. It may only be an accidental drop of solder from the closing of the ring, but still, its regular appearance makes it look like it could be intentional.

This is one of a small batch of marked crosses I have purchased of late and I hope to find the time soon to put the others up for comment. So, any opinions or comments are much appreciated.

Regards - Danny

Danny,

Another superb find my friend! Not often seen manufacturer either! (at least in my parts) Beautiful MM strike and love the "Chunky" trapazoidal swas as well. Interesting! Wow, just when I think your at bay that I'd have a chance to find a decent Cross and your back to buying them again! LOL!

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Hi Danny, nice cross, I also like the chunky Swaz,, it has a quality feel to the piece, here's mine, at least I now know the maker

regards

Alex

Addendum, I've just had a closer look at the one I posted earlier, in fact it's maker mark is 76, not 75, the ring is distorted like the one posted Danny. The similarities in the two crosses are really quite remarkeable. Any ideas as to the maker of 76?

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

Thanks everyone for all the very kind comments! :beer:

It's great to hear positive feedback about a purchase.

Wow, just when I think your at bay that I'd have a chance to find a decent Cross and your back to buying them again! LOL!

Joel - what do you mean "a chance to find a decent cross?"!!... I still can't forgive you for grabbing that beautiful '66'!!! :lol:

Alex -

I was staring at your cross trying to work out why the beading looked so different to the my 75!

The '76' marked crosses were made by Ernst Muller of Pforzheim, the beading is of a better standard than on the 75's. They are one of my favourite makers.

Here's my '76', not as clean as your example, but I like them with a bit of wear!

Regards - Danny

post-2364-1182893211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danny70

Joel - what do you mean "a chance to find a decent cross?"!!... I still can't forgive you for grabbing that beautiful '66'!!!

Yeah, I guess I did get lucky on that one. OK, one that got by you. LOL! :cheers:

Nice Crosses Gents!

Regards,

Joel

Hi Danny, the beading on the 76's does seem a little sharper when I have a closer look, I think apart from mis-reading the ring stamp, the similarities between the dates on the front also threw me, as Dave B says, the 3's are quite distinctive, maybe they used a common core?

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

maybe they used a common core?

No Alex, I compared the two crosses this evening and although somewhat similar, there are many differences. So, definitely not a common core.

Regards - Danny

Gotta say again though, the 3s on the 75s are really eye catching(well to me anyway)

I agree Dave, and IMO all the features (especially the beading) of the '75' are very distinctive... a very easy maker to spot.... mind you, I can't say I recall seeing any unmarked examples of one in the recent past!

Thanks again to everyone.

Regards - Danny

• 4 months later...