News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Children and the war

While this is :off topic: , the movie is available on DVD (at least in English) and -- while not as good as the stage play on which it is based -- reveals all the ambiguioties of a conflict like Afghanistan '79 ( or . . . ???).

Dear Sergey,

it's a great movie :D .

Years ago I copied the german version from TV on VHS-video. I don't know, if the movie is available as a DVD.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: I assume, the "The Beast" is the only movie, where a Soviet tank plays the leading role ;) .

Well, in saving Private Ryan, the "Tiger" is actually a remodeled Russian Tank, check out the tracklinks!!

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

I think the "Kellys Heros" Tigers were actually Russian made Czech Tanks

and the tanks in "Saving Private Ryan" were Soviet hulls modeled in the U.K.

Most of "SPR" was shot in the Republic of Ireland with members of the Irish Reserve Forces (FCA) being

used as extras, whereas all the fighting in the town was filmed on a purpose built set

including river and bridge on a dis-used RAF airfield in the UK.

The Model Tigers in "SPR" were of a far better quality than the "Kelly's Hero" models.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

From my private collection. :(

Very interesting picture Stefan! I also have few private pictures from Russian POWs in my collection. It's really sad to see a young soldier being in these places. What also make this picture interesting is that you can also see what seems to be a Russian HiWi (Hilfswilliger) who is watching the captured Soviet POWs.

Very interesting picture Stefan! I also have few private pictures from Russian POWs in my collection. It's really sad to see a young soldier being in these places. What also make this picture interesting is that you can also see what seems to be a Russian HiWi (Hilfswilliger) who is watching the captured Soviet POWs.

Really? HiWi? I thought that he is from RAD. The uniform is quite unusual for a "Frontsoldat", isn?t it! And the cap badge is a typical Wehrmacht-cockade.

Dear Sergey,

it's a great movie :D .

Years ago I copied the german version from TV on VHS-video. I don't know, if the movie is available as a DVD.

Christian

BTW: I assume, the "The Beast" is the only movie, where a Soviet tank plays the leading role ;) .

Always with interest I look foreign films about the Soviet Army. However this has passed. In the past it is interesting to officer to look as show the Soviet Army abroad. More often it is very far from true.Even in today's Russia Russian films about the Soviet Army have many mistakes.

From my private collection. :(

childsoldiercopy.jpg

Very interesting picture. I saw it earlier in a network. You have data about history of this picture. Most likely it is made in the end 42 - 43. However it is interesting to learn greater.

That another in the form of this soldier.. Can be should to be written on an elbow HiWi

• 4 months later...

Very interesting. Merridales' recent book on the Soviet army had quite a bit to say about these 'regimental children". i did not know they were eligible for medals though-now THAT is interesting.

Red Star or Glory 3cl had not been so uncommon for children fighting in the Red Army - usually as scouts. There are some photographs of proud children with these orders in some well known books about the GPW.

Christian