News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moscow Sculpture Park

I was in that park in 2003. At that time there wasn't a lot of sculptures to see. Entrance was free at that time. I was in Moscow last year and they have arranged a small counter with entrance fees, so I decided not to go to the park. I noticed in your pictures that some new statues have been put in that park. Is it possible or my memory is not so good?

While not from Moscow park, I have a nice photo of a Lenin statue from Yalta in the heart of the town near the sea. I thought it might be a good occasion to share it with members.

Wow !! ..2006 ?? From the looks of it ?some of the Russians still get that ?warm & fuzzy? feeling from the old Soviet days and many of their icons are still intact. Maybe they plan on going back to the old ways ?

Wow !! ..2006 ?? From the looks of it ?some of the Russians still get that ?warm & fuzzy? feeling from the old Soviet days and many of their icons are still intact. Maybe they plan on going back to the old ways ?

I heard a range of opinions, from "But we're (all) rich now!" to "But Marx was right, Russia couldn't have had a real revolution without undergoing the suffering of capitalism, and that is what we're doing now." In various parts of the former USSR, things seem to range from a "just wait, people will eventually remember that Stalin was good" attitude to a joyous and quite shameless resurgence of unreconstructed Nazis, crawling out from under their slimy rocks under cover of resurgent "nationalism".

It will be interesting to watch. Whether it is a Jewish or Chinese curse, the old quote can be recalled: "May you live in interesting times."

The statues sre still there, some of them.

You're right Ed ..I'm sure things will get a lot more interesting.

Not to turn it into a political thread but ..Whether it's Adolf or Stalin ..I hate seeing these things glorified. To save them as a piece of History is one thing , but keeping them on Public display to instill a sense of pride is another. I wonder how the Russian Schools cover that era.

Well..It's good to know that at least some Russians have the right "attitude"

True! Regardless of how outsiders see "history", how people deal with (or deny) their recent history is fascinating. Having gone, recently, directly from Delhi (where history from the British period is an inconvenient irrelevant embarassment -- except for cricket) to Moscow (where history is denied and disguised unless it is Tsarist) to Ulanbaatar (where history is accepted with a shrug) was powerful.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky

Here is the statue of Felix Dzerzhinsky in Minsk Belarus by the State Border Troops commitee headquaters. A copy of the Moscow statue, but unveiled in 2006! ie. a brand new Dzerzhinsky!

Dear Belaruski,

here are some photographs of the unveiling ceremony of the new monument in 2006: http://www.svaboda.org/articlesfeatures/po...14511c19dd.html (please scroll down!). The Belarusian KGB chief was present at the ceremony and said that the Belarusian KGB should follow the example of Dzerzhinsky in its activities :D .

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky had been a Jew, who was borne in Belarus, in Kojdanava, which was renamed now to Dzyarzhynsk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Dzerzhinsky .

Comrade Dzerzhinsky had not only been a great defender of the Bolshevik Revolution, but he also got famous as a great humanist: He did a lot for orphans and children. Well, that part of his biography is almost never mentioned :( .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Wow !! ..2006 ?? From the looks of it ?some of the Russians still get that "warm & fuzzy" feeling from the old Soviet days and many of their icons are still intact. Maybe they plan on going back to the old ways ?

In Russia it is accepted to be at war with monuments. In 1917 have destroyed all monuments to Russian Emperors. Also have put a plenty of workers, peasants, Lenins and Stalins.

1953 have destroyed all Stalin's images.

2000 began to break the remained communists .For example - Felix.

It is very a pity, but history you will not change. Thank God that monuments have ceased to break.

I heard a range of opinions, from "But we're (all) rich now!" to "But Marx was right, Russia couldn't have had a real revolution without undergoing the suffering of capitalism, and that is what we're doing now." In various parts of the former USSR, things seem to range from a "just wait, people will eventually remember that Stalin was good" attitude to a joyous and quite shameless resurgence of unreconstructed Nazis, crawling out from under their slimy rocks under cover of resurgent "nationalism".

It will be interesting to watch. Whether it is a Jewish or Chinese curse, the old quote can be recalled: "May you live in interesting times."

The statues sre still there, some of them.

Also it is the truth