News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looks like a sextant to me for measuring and fixing the postion of the ship by the sun, would have been used by the ships navigator. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

hello,

Very interesting item ! I would like to see more pictures so I can give you a better answer , but I do not think this a sextant for measuring the sun . To get a fix on the sun you also need to see the horizon , with this item you cannot see both at the same time . That long tube in the middle looks like a bubble level to me , if so you would put the heavy base on an object and once the bubble is level you can read the degree of angle that object is at . This may be used by a machinest , I have seen similar items in our machine shop . More detailed pictures would be a great help !

Best Regards,

Joe

If it is an inclonometer, it would have to be for land use, I should imagine.

I would agree for the most part. However, on a submarine, or destroyer, etc., during a reconnaisance mission it could provide data on items near shore such as antennas, smokestacks, buildings, fjords, cliff altitudes etc. Using the pythagorean theory.

Dick

Hi Guys

The instrument is a "Winkellibelle mit Mikroskop" (angle spirit level with microscope).

It's a hightly accurate instrument used for the setting up of instruments/equipment (gun mounts etc).

Very nice ;)

Cheers

Max

www.atlantik-pirat.com

Please sign the U-534 petition

Edited by Max

Hello,

I think the best German name for this instrument would be a WINKELMESSER or gunner's quadrant . More pictures would be a big help .

Best Regards,

Joe

That is correct. In the Marine Corps they were used to lay down fields of fire for the machine guns.

Dick

Hi,

that is in German a:

Libellenquadrant, verwendet bei Gesch?tzen zur Feststellung, Festlegung des H?henwinkels (Erh?hung) beim indirekten Richten, geh?rt eigentlich zu jedem Gesch?tz in die Ausstattung.

Gunner?s Quadrant, part used to align howitzers and artillery barrels, for the elevation adjustment.

Regards

Uwe

Hey Joe, hope you're well..

Unfortunately this one isn't mine, I just happen to have a pic of one.. I'm still looking! :(

I don't believe that the base is magnetic. They have a long groove machined into the very heavy base, that allowed them to sit on top of barrels and tubular sections.

Sorry to hear about the TR.

Cheers

Max

www.atlantik-pirat.com

Edited by Max