News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Congratulations, very nice medal with its'presentation box. According to Nimmergut it is Sachsen-Weimar 1881-1918 and evaluated at 400 Euros, which certainly means it is scarce. A very good buy in such complete condition.

Life-saving medals are not as well understood and appreciated as they would deserve to be. Thank you for showing this fine example. Are you particularly interested in such awards ?. Tell us more if you care to.

Best regards

Veteran

Congratulations, very nice medal with its'presentation box. According to Nimmergut it is Sachsen-Weimar 1881-1918 and evaluated at 400 Euros, which certainly means it is scarce. A very good buy in such complete condition.

Life-saving medals are not as well understood and appreciated as they would deserve to be. Thank you for showing this fine example. Are you particularly interested in such awards ?. Tell us more if you care to.

Best regards

Veteran

This is the first time I've seen one of these. It's very attractive and apparently of good quality.

I wish I did win... it was "private bidding" and not me. I wanted to share these images as these are very, very difficult to find. I find the Nimmerg?t pocket guide to be helpful, but just that. A guide.... there are many, many prices in there that simply do not reflect rarity.....

Hi Rick,

A very very very nice item. It's a first time for me. Do you know how many cross has been decerned ?

The case is beautiful. You give me your virus, now I want all cross with box only :rolleyes:

May be the new owner of the cross is a member of this forum and we probably have more photos.

Regards

Christophe

A beautiful medal. I have avoided approaching lifesaving medals because they are not specifically military. But a number of them have gone to military personnel so I may rethink whether to put images of them up for reference, maybe on their own page.

I have no idea how many Saxe-Weimar LS medals were awarded, but it can't be many. Reuss j.L. awarded less than one a year, based on my review of the Reuss Verordnungsblaetter. Saxe-Weimar was a bigger state, so maybe a handful - 2-5 - a year?

BTW, totally off topic, but has anyone noticed that "Vigilando ascendimus" sounds like a spell out of Harry Potter?

Speaking of lifesaving medals, does anyone know anything about Alois Egger? He was an Infanterist in the 17th Bavarian Infantry Regiment who received both the Bavarian and the W?rttemberg Lifesaving Medals on August 21, 1914, for saving a 16-year old girl from drowning.

His medals were announced in the same Verordnung where Eduard Dostler (later Ritter von Dostler) received his Lifesaving Medal for saving Lt. Johann St?ckl and Pionier Moser from drowning. This is mentioned in Neal O'Connor's aviation histories. Interestingly, Lt. St?ckl also received the Lifesaving Medal for saving Pion. Moser. So apparently St?ckl jumped in after Moser, and Dostler pulled both of them out.

For what it's worth, this was the same Verordnung which announced Lt. Karl Brunner's Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords, Bavaria's first award of a military decoration for World War I. A lot of history on one page.