News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PDR Afghanistan ribbon bars

Ed_Haynes

First to surface from a bunch just in, some lovely (bizarre) PDR Afghan ribbon bars. Order of mounting is, well, flexible. Just a few of these plastic wonders.

1: Medal for Excellent Service, Medal for Excellent Service, Order of the Sun (?); Long Service Medal, Long Service Medal, Long Service Medal

2: Order of the Red Banner; Medal for Excellent Service, Medal for Distinguished Military Service; Medal for Gallantry, 10th Anniversary of the Saur Revolution, 70 Years of Independence (?)

3: ???; ???, Medal for Friendship between Peoples (?), ???; ???, Order of the Star, Long Service Medal; Medal for Excellent Service, Medal for Gallantry, 70 Years of Independence (?); 70 Years of Independence (?), 10th Anniversary of the Saur Revolution, Long Service Medal

4: 10th Anniversary of the Saur Revolution, 70 Years of Independence (?)

Much to learn. And more to come.

Guest Rick Research

Aside from the next to bottom one, those ribbon bars compare favorably with the D-profile plastiglass painted ones in fashion in the Soviet Union late 1940s-1970s.

What do the backs look like?

And a few singles.

--- ???, Order of the Red Banner

--- Medal for Distinguished Military Service, the same but narrow

--- ???, ???

--- 10th Anniversary of the Saur Revolution, State Medal of Malali the Heroine of Maiwand

All with the same tin and safety-pin reverses.

And, actually, a few in cloth.

1- Order of the Saur Revolution (first type), Faid Djamanudin Afghania

2- National Medal of Ghazi Muhammad Akbar Khan, Literacy Medal

3- Medal of Ghazi Muhammad Ayub Khan, State Medal of Malali the Heroine of Maiwand

4- State Medal of Mullah Meshach the Learned, Long Service Medal

Guest Rick Research

Thanks, Ed! Thos compare very favorably with Soviet ones-- as nice on front and not as nasty on reverse.

Anything that can be deduced about ranks and careers from the groups?

Quite interesting, Ed. Thank you! Have you seen any fabric or plastic-coated paper ones?

Other than the cloth singles I show above, I haven't seen any cloth "combo" bars. I have't seen the paper ones (what I think of as "DDR-style") in Afghanistan, but who knows.

Do you know whether the Sun Order has been reinstated?

I have heard rumors to that effect, but have no solid news. Many things have used that name and it is hard to sort them out. I know the late king used to award the old royal order (against payment), but have no idea whether Ahmad Zahir still awards it after his father's death.

Edited by Ed_Haynes