News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zanzibar: Orders, Decorations and Medals

Elmar Lang

Numis,
    With regard to your query these are District Chief/Headman's Badge which come in silver and bronze. The Arabic is a reflection of the English and vice versa. I attach an example sold by the auction house DNW. The obverse reads 'Dowla Zinjibar' - 'Government/State of Zanzibar', and the reverse reads 'Wilayat Shaka Shaka' - 'Chake Chake District'. I believe there are five medals in this series Chake Chake, Chuaka, Mkoani, Mwera and Weti Districts. The phrase "hen's teeth" comes to mind. From my limited Arabic in the Gulf 'Hakumat' is 'Government' whilst 'Dowla' is 'State' - no doubt variations in the use of words occur throughout the Arabic speaking world.
    Regards,
    Owain

Zanzibar Chake Chake DNW.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chiefs Medal also for Mkokotoni

Re the Sultans Campaign Medal 1896:

(1)a single source once seen  quoted bars for Segeen, Bahwan, Muweelah and Toko Nogo but I have never seen these confirmed anywhere else .Can anyone confirm or refute ?

(2) any recipient roll ever located ?

(3) would anyone know issue numbers for medal and bars ?

Clip.jpg.bf3c07e47ca8caa45d23c020760676d9.jpg

Sultan of Zanzibar’s Medal 1896, 2 clasps (in Arabic), Takaungu, Mwele, unnamed as issued, good very fine and scarce £400-500 After the death of the East African Sheikh of Takaungu in February 1895, a succession dispute ensued between his son and his nephew. In June 1895, a British naval force, with some 160 Zanzibaris, drove the nephew out of Takaungu. He fled to Mwele from where he was again driven out by a naval force and some 150 Zanzibaris.

I have know of a named example in group with named IBEA Co Medal ( scroll suspender ) , E & W Africa medal for Mwele and Africa GSM for Jubaland ( this last unnamed but verified on roll )

The bar names being queried came from , if i remember correctly , someone writing in to a UK Medal magazine