News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Erich Knappe, airgunner in JG 27

Francois,

Thanks for sharing, very nice and interesting grouping. It is nothworthy to mention that he was an airgunner attached to a Jagdgeschwader.

In what capacity did he serve, presumably courier flights, to have him not only awarded both EK's but also all three Transport spange while serving with a fighter unit!?!?!?!?!?

Nice items.

Jeremy

Francois,

Thanks for sharing, very nice and interesting grouping. It is nothworthy to mention that he was an airgunner attached to a Jagdgeschwader.

In what capacity did he serve, presumably courier flights, to have him not only awarded both EK's but also all three Transport spange while serving with a fighter unit!?!?!?!?!?

Nice items.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

You may be right on!

In all cases, not something you see everyday I suppose.

Fran?ois

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I never realized that it was even POSSIBLE for somebody in a "fighter" unit to get "transport" clasps! :cheers:

Amazing group!

I see it like this, but maybe too simple..?

When fighter units moved to the next "airfield" all stuff had to be moved plus people had to be flown around, equipment etc..

In the light of that you need transporters attached to the unit.., no ?

A bit like gliders and Ju52 attached to para units..

Jos.

Edited by Jos Le Cont

Spot-on, Jos.

Looking at the dates on the documents for his clasps, he would have been part of the large transport group attached to ?Afrika korps? which kept the various units supplied with all that was needed for the fast moving campaign. ?Knappe? would have been directly attached to JG27 in the transport wing of the squadron which would have come under the control of Staff HQ.

Spot-on, Jos.

Looking at the dates on the documents for his clasps, he would have been part of the large transport group attached to ?Afrika korps? which kept the various units supplied with all that was needed for the fast moving campaign. ?Knappe? would have been directly attached to JG27 in the transport wing of the squadron which would have come under the control of Staff HQ.

I may be wrong in my understanding of english but, for me "courier flights" does not mean ONLY "felpost" but in fact everything else than fighter

Hello,

Thank you for showing this marvellous set francois, very nice and i am also intriged by the awarding of the Transporter clasp towards this person.

I also think that this person was a crewmember of some transport plane (could also have been a smaller one then a Ju 52) attached towards the JG 27.

The attaching of gliders towards certain units is a bit different, in the cases where this was done (for example KG 27) the gldiers where on loan for a short time and the returend towards their mother unit. It is also not quite same as the Gliders attached towards the Para's, etc ... as those where also exceptions and can be seen a temporarely matter.

I believe that this person was simply a JG 27 unitmember who was active in some kind of transportplane as attached towards that very unit.

Anyway, thank you once again :cheers: