News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slightly larger Order of Glory 2nd & 3rd Class group

Once again this enlisted goup fit right in my collecting theme at the time. The Glories are awarded to Sergeant Major Petr Pavlovich Gerasimenko. I purchased this group even though the 2nd class had some idiot painted the center, and then someone else tried to rub th gold paint off. I always thought I would take the time and get all the gold paint off but here it is ten year later and I still like the set. Missing a couple items but still a nice group. The booklet is rather beat but still I like that better than a new issued one.

Jim

Guest Rick Research

also the Book appears to have been soaking, sodden wet... BEFORE those two were added?

A 1952 Red Banner to an NCO?

Only research back will reveal the real story.

• 2 weeks later...

Stamp for Khmelnitsky looks weird. Plus, order of Khmelnitsky to a Sergeant?

William

To all:

While rather uncommon, Soviet enlisted personnel did receive the Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy 3rd Class during the Great Patriotic War. I have a photo of one such recipient (a Guards NCO who was also a single or double Slava winner) in my collection.

There are also a few Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory who received the Bogdan 3rd Class.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

While rather uncommon, Soviet enlisted personnel did receive the Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy 3rd Class during the Great Patriotic War.

Gentlemen,

the Khmelnitsky 3cl had been also a not untypical award to partisans (NCO & enlisted ranks!) - have a look at the regulations & statutes of that order.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I am not saying it's not possible, just not that common.

This book/group raise lots of questions.

Why Khmelnitsky & Red Banner are filled in after non-numbered (long service?) post-war Military Merit medal?

Why the color of the book is so uneven - very dark on the bottom and bright white on the top? Could this be indication of bleaching?

I guess to answer all this questions once and for all research is necessary.

William

Gentlemen,

it seems, that comrade Gerasimenko promoted to officers ranks after the GPW, but the long service Red Star for 15 years duty is missing in the orders booklet :unsure: .

Comrade Gerasimenko had been already sergeant major in the GPW and if he stayed in the Soviet Army after 1945 it doesn't seem unlikely, that he promoted to an officer.

There are some cavaliers of the Order of Glory, who ended up as a major or even higher.

O.K., everything under the aspect, that the last entries in the orders booklet are not faked ... :rolleyes:

Christian

As has been said already, we can sit here and pitch out guesses as much and as long as we wish, but the only way to answer any questions will be through research. While it may raise new questions, tell us things we didn't want to know, or reveal invisible wonders, it is the only way to resolve any of these questions.

We look forward to seeing the results! :jumping:

As has been said already, we can sit here and pitch out guesses as much and as long as we wish, but the only way to answer any questions will be through research. While it may raise new questions, tell us things we didn't want to know, or reveal invisible wonders, it is the only way to resolve any of these questions.

We look forward to seeing the results! :jumping:

True words, Ed :cheers: .

Christian

True words, Ed :cheers: .

Christian

And as you know, Christian -- better, perhaps, than anyone else (Gnitienko) -- research is the only way to answer such questions. While the outcome may not always be as pleasant as yours, the facts are the facts, while guesses are just that.