News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kuwait Liberation Medal

Guest IMHF

As the Kuwaiti award is an order and the Saudi award a medal the order of precedence is that the Kuwait award should come first. The two other awards from Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates are both medals and thus if anyone does have these, the order of precedence should be in accordance with the date of their award to the individual concerned.

Regards,

Owain

Very good information. Thank you!

Guest Rick Research

Aha! A THIRD foreign made example for issue to yet another ally's own troops-- the reverses of the suspension wreaths will be easy to remember. :cheers:

Is there an actual KUWAITI Kuwaiti medal? :rolleyes:

None were made in Kuwait. The medal was out-sourced (as were and are most things in Kuwait) to Italian and British makers. Those made in the US are quite unofficial.

While the US was one of the few foreign participants to allow the wearing of the medal, it was also among the few to blissfully ignore the multi-class structure of the award and force all recipients to accept the lowest class.

I did a short piece in JOMSA on these some time back.

Chris ,

The certificate states third class which is indeed the "silver" issue. If I recall correctly this grade was for Warrant Officers to Captains......?

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

I am not sure why I got the silver one, it seems most guys in the legion got the brown one.

Odd indeed, as the rank breakdown of the Wisam al-Tahrir was:

distinguished class (first class) - rank of lieutenant-general or general or above

first class (second class) - rank of brigadier or major-general

second class (third class) - rank of major, lieutenant-colonel, and colonel

third class (fourth class) - warrant officers and commissioned officers at or below the rank of captain

fourth class (fifth class) - to enlisted personnel

An honorary promotion by the Kuwaitis or just an administrative screw-up?

Thanks for showing the certificate.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

M. le Capitaine Boonzaier.

I like the sound of that. :catjava:

2 January, 2108, Galactic Collectors Telepathic Network:

"Entity447, that group is SO fake! It's got a WW1 Croix des Combatants and an officer's medal for Kuwait. Obviously a phony group and the documents don't match...."

:cheeky:

Here is both Medals from my collection: see the difference in the quality and shade?

One is a solid piece as the other has two piece construction attached to the ribbon bar.

Back:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Lost in the French section....

On the right is my new one :-)

All the cheap fake patina gunk stripped.... silver plated, and now a REAL patina will develop....

Very Beautiful piece

Thank you for sharing.... Need one for my collection, you have any more?

Lorenzo

Nope... but give me a couple of weeks and I can have one whipped up for you ;-)

Thank you:

Cool piece to have as well in my collection: they are already making fake medals in Iraq I seen a fake Wisam al-Rafidain First class.. :shame:

Lorenzo

• 4 weeks later...

A thought to this one...

As the country is one of the few in the region where the population WAS grateful to see western troops.... and as they have zillions of dollars of oil....

This piece of crap medal is a bit of an insult. They could not have paid more than EUR2 for it.

The first time I got a medal retroactively I had my medal bar changed to include it.

This one, I did not bother.

I am glad I have the document entitling me to the award.... but feel the medal itself is an insult.... one of the worst examples of taking the "Lowest bidder" ever.

As someone who served in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in the 1st Gulf War, then returned to Kuwait with the military in 2000, I had to chuckle at your comments. The feeling I got from the Kuwaitis was that they really did not like us, and had long-forgotten the fact that we had liberated thier country in the previous decade.