News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Troops - Allied with Germany

Guest Darrell

Anyone want to hazard a guess where abouts this picture was taken or anything of value? It appears a date of 1943 on the back, but not 100% sure that's relavent to the picture date or not.

Guest Darrell

If it is 1943, which I suspect it is, it would have been taken out in Bordeaux, where is where the AHF was based after any chance of them even reaching India vanished (= Stalingrad).

Thanks Ed,

Is there any information on GMIC with regards to the AHF? Did these volunteers join in '42 when propects looked good that the Germans would press onto the Eastern Countries with their summer offensive?

Not much very good has been done, as most have not bothered with the records and have drawn instead upon the 'wisdom' of 'Third Reich' collector 'wisdom'. Not suce how much the newly available 'INA Papers' in the National Archives (New Delhi) deal with the European INA (Azad Hind Fauj). Next time I'm back, I'll know.

Interesting that the soldiers in the picture above wear the eagle and swastika of Germany. Early on they didn't, but after Bose's departure they couldn't resist the Nazi pressure.

The whole 'Waffen SS' connection is debated. None of the veterans I contacted (Indian or German) were aware of that connection and certainly never wore nor even knew of that uniform and ostensible badges.

Guest WAR LORD

They were dfinitly wearing the Eagle and swastika before Bose left. Also the SS Uniform was being worn by late 1944.

Edited by WAR LORD

Not much very good has been done, as most have not bothered with the records and have drawn instead upon the 'wisdom' of 'Third Reich' collector 'wisdom'.

Maybe instead of relying on the Third Reich collector "Wisdom" they should then pull their fingers out and present an alternate "Wisdom" then ?

Its no good Joe saying "Why is Pete on the radio and not me" when Joe never makes a record. :P