News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Handbuch der Verb?nde und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914 - 1918

I received in the post yesterday the new two volume organisational history of the "German" Field Artillery in WW1 by J?rgen Kraus and Hartwig Busche. This over 1000 page tome details the formation history and more importantly the subordination of all the Field Artillery Units in WW1 as and when they were subordinated to different higher formations. The authors are working on a twenty volume series! They have simultaneously published a one volume history on the infantry. Although it does not give the names of commanders it goes into detail down as far as independent batteries and even details the attachment of batteries from their parent regiments on an ad-hoc basis as required.

Full title:

Handbuch der Verb?nde und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914 - 1918, Teil IX, Feldartillerie, Band 1. u. 2., Wien 2007. ISBN 978-3-902526-15-1 (Both volumes), EUR 94, 90

Regards

Glenn

Note that the Infantry volume which has been published is only Band I of what presumably will be several. It only covers infantry regiments (pre-war and wartime-raised, including Bavarian). It does not cover RIRs, LIRs, EIRs, Brig.Ers.Btl., etc., which presumably will be in subsequent volumes. Still, it is a wealth of information and only whets one's appetite for more volumes to come.

• 5 months later...

I brought this thread back up to let people know that the next 2 volumes in the series 'Handbuch der Verb?nde und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914 - 1918' (Reserve Infantry Regiments and Munitionskolonnen) will be published in November 2008.

• 5 months later...

I have ben in contact with Stefan Rest, the publisher, and he informs me that the 2 volumes on the Munitionskolonnen will be published in Feb 09 with the single volume on the Reserve Infantry Regiments being available in late 2009.

Regards,

Ian

I have ben in contact with Stefan Rest, the publisher, and he informs me that the 2 volumes on the Munitionskolonnen will be published in Feb 09 with the single volume on the Reserve Infantry Regiments being available in late 2009.

Regards,

Ian

Too bad they aren't doing the Fussartillerie first--that's an arm that could use a good reference book for formations.

Paul

Too bad they aren't doing the Fussartillerie first--that's an arm that could use a good reference book for formations.

Paul

Indeed. Munitions columns are a bit obscure. I would hav thought the "Teeth" Arms would have been a better priority.

Regards

Glenn

Indeed. Munitions columns are a bit obscure. I would hav thought the "Teeth" Arms would have been a better priority.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

Maybe it was a marketing decision. The Fussartillerie volumes will have to be massive, and I would imagine would take a great deal of time to put together. I've been working at the archives in Freiburg and Stuttgart on this, and it is a wonderfully complex topic!

Paul