News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards to Railway Wokers in the HUPR

Gentlemen,

Time for another change of pace. I don't ever remember us focusing on the awards to Railway Workers in the HUPR. I think it would be interesting for us to look at this group of workers and see where it takes us. On Saturday the 2nd of Feb. I was lucky enough to find a cased ?rdemes Vasutas (Excellent Railway Employee) badge at the monthly Militaria Show. Since Charles said he had never sen a cased one before I bought it. I bargained the vendor down from his asking price but Charles still winched when I agreed to the final price.

Lets start with the top of the case.

Ulsterman,

I would consider the prices you quoted very fair for North America, for uncased examples, providing the enamel is not chipped etc. Especially if it were like the one I posted which is an early example with superb enamel work and in mint shape having been stored in the case over the years. Like every where, prices here fluctuate from vendor to vendor. This piece was prcied at the high end because that particular vendor always charges more than anyone else but he has the goodies!

Here are a couple of examples of other Excellent Railway Employee badges. These are file pictures and I do not own these pieces. They are posted here just for information and you will notice the difference in quality between badges.

Regards,

Gordon

Here is one of a slightly different design. I have not done any research on these badges so I don't know if the different wording on the badges indicates a change over time or a different level of the same award. The same goes for the different design I am about to post here.

Hi Gordon,

Some words from the "KIV?L? VASUTAS" and "?RDEMES VASUTAS" badges.

This honouring badge was instituted from the Ministercouncil in 9. 8.1952. in two grades:

1st. grade: KIV?L? VASUTAS ( excellent railwayman)

2nd. grade: ?RDEMES VASUTAS (merited railwayman)

From these badges awarded every year only max. 100 pieces.

The awarding of the "?rdemes vasutas" badge is over 1977.

The badge "Kiv?l? Vasutas" awarded on to 1989.

Edited by Zsolt

Zsolt,

Thanks for the info on the Railway Workers badges. Having started off with a cased one I'll have to start trying to get the rest of them.

I didn't realize how timely my thread would be. I was in Keleti today and nothing was moving because of the strike. I've never seen Keleti empty before. I should go back tomorrow and take a picture!

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 month later...

Hi Gordon and Zsolt,

Many thanks for sharing your info and pics on these great badges! I especially love the "?rdemes vasutas" badges... and having either or both of them cased really makes them stand out all the more. These are some pieces I'd love to get examples of at some point. I've nearly been priced out of Soviet RR awards and I actually this these are even nicer than most of theirs. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

These awards are hard to come by and almost impossible to find cased. I was lucky once again!

Regards,

Gordon

Well, now I know what I'm going to hear when I chat with Charles later today. :cheeky: A shame... I really love them, and the cases too. That's my problem though... it's like with cars... I love Rolls Royces and Bentleys (60's back with the long hoods and all the curves) and the Astin Martin DB5 and other such cars that are way beyond my means and likely always will be. Expensive tastes without the budget to match is not fun. But all in all in my collections I think I've done okay. I've been very lucky, God has provided in droves, and with such good friends helping out... well, having all that on my side how can I lose? :jumping:

I have a feeling thought that one day, between us (you, myself and Charles), we'll have to open a museum the size of the Louvre in order to display everything we've acquired over the years. But that's part of the fun! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Charles,

To be on the safe side, I'll start with the case dimentions. They are 82mm x 63mm 20mm. Badge size is 44mm x 30mm. My badge has a clear coating over the wording at the top.

Zsolt,

Thanks for posting the third type case.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig