News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think, that it is the best film about war in Russia

Sergey

Gentlemen,

A great thread, very informative. Personally, I can not express an opinion on "Come and See" in terms of being a good or bad film. I can only say that it is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen.

I was glad to see "Burnt by the Sun" mentioned. This is a really good one. I would like to recommend "The Inner Circle" which is a true story based upon the experiences of Stalin's movie projectionist. Bob Hoskins' portrayal of Beria, alone, is worth the price of admission.

Another worth mention is Ballad of a Soldier" which I think holds an unusual distinction. This film was released in 1959 at the height, or depth, of the Cold War. It's acceptance and acclaim in the west, particularly the USA, was astounding (and very politically incorrect). Another one from that era which I remember (God, it's been fifty years!!) as being quite good is "The Cranes are Flying". Neither of these are the usual slam/bang war film, but have considerable merit - both won numerous awards.

Grab a bowl of popcorn and enjoy a good movie during one of these long cold winter nights! :beer:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I agree, "The Inner Circle" is an excellent film. They even went through the trouble of finding character-actors who actually look like the historical figures they're supposed to portray. They did their homework all around, even Stalin's pipe-motions are historically acurate (from what I've read on his pipe being a weather-vane for his various mood-swings.)

• 1 month later...

My own favorite is the 1965 Russian/Georgian film Father of a Soldier. Available at Amazon here. IIRC, it won a silver at Cannes because, as one judge allegedly said, "We wouldn't give the gold to a Russian film." The only film I know of that inspired a national park in its honor, a beautiful manicured park in Georgia's Khaheti Region that includes a huge statue of the father.

If you do go to the Amazon link be sure to scroll down to "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought". You'll find some of the movies discussed here and others that I was not familiar with.

Chuck

My own favorite is the 1965 Russian/Georgian film Father of a Soldier. Available at Amazon here. IIRC, it won a silver at Cannes because, as one judge allegedly said, "We wouldn't give the gold to a Russian film." The only film I know of that inspired a national park in its honor, a beautiful manicured park in Georgia's Khaheti Region that includes a huge statue of the father.

If you do go to the Amazon link be sure to scroll down to "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought". You'll find some of the movies discussed here and others that I was not familiar with.

Chuck

Yes you are right. It is good and kind film. However I think, that this film is more about human life.

iv seen come and see and personally i think its a great film!as has been said a VERY un-hollywood film! the bit with were the SS burn down the church full of people was very disturbing as was the bit where they go through an air raid int he forest!

Yes ,this film I looked still the child. I am surprised You so well know the Soviet cinema. Today You have reminded me episodes of the childhood. This film often showed in the middle of the sixtieth years in day of the beginning of war.(22.06.).I wished to find this film in Russian Internet. But on sites known to me it is not present.Surprisingly as it is fast in Russia is lost interest to the last years .Tomorrow I shall call in Mosfilm and I learn presence DVD.It is interesting to me as You have met this film.

I not have seen sale of this film in DVD in Moscow.