News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These machine woven badges are very contentious. Many believe they are a post-war invention. Most of those I've seen are woven in man made fibres like nylon which will melt if heated. However I have seen some in natural fibre and some believe these are genuine - they may well be.

I have never seen a photo of the woven badge in wear though I have seen both the embroidered and bullion types being worn in wartime photos. The lack of photographic evidence and proliferation of nylon fakes make most people very suspicious of these.

I have seen faked nylon woven badges before where they had been machine sewn to a cloth patch so that no loose fibres could be removed for "burn-testing" - another point that would make me suspicious here.

And this final one brings up a pretty good point. Three insignia/badges posted. All 3 suspect. But Reinoud says "100% trustworthy source".........

Things are almost never as they seem. 30 years in a collection (IMO) simply means one thing. They were bought by the owner 30 years ago. That is simply no claim to authenticity.

It is a sad state of affairs that in this field we must work very hard to authenticate almost every single piece. But that also increases the importance of educating yourself..... especially through Forums like this!

• 3 years later...

Hello ,

I have always liked this woven badge , but I do understand that many people do think they are all fakes . I am NOT stating that these are all 100 % originals but I do feel good with several that I have seen . I received one of these in circa 1975 when I purchased a Dr?ger tauchretter and other KM items in a large package deal . I Like this badge due to it looks well made and has nice proportions to the sub , eagle and the all important swaz. In several collectors books I have seen several cloth badges that are accepted as original and I do not like them ! (IMHO ) as I feel the eagle looks very sick and near death ! the sub is poorly designed and that SWAZ !!!!!! IF Adolf say this badge he would go into a rage at his national emblem so poorly executed that he would have the maker of that cloth badge executed !! .

The one in my collection passes the burn test and UV light test . As I cannot say for 100 % certain this IS real beyond doubt I use mine as a decoration back drop display for my Tachretter collection . Like I said I like it , but I think that this woven badge will always have that shroud of doubt surrounding it .

Best Regards ,

Joe

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back to the top as I want to post my latest addition, a cloth version of the U-boat badge, exactly the same as the one in Gordon's Torpedo Los. Note it is missing a bit off the left front bottom of the patch as you are looking at it.

I agree that the eagle desgin is not great, but to me, this is not a big factor in these. All U-boat badges, whether patch or metallic, are small and only when we expand the badge to the size of our computer screens do we note artistic problems that we do not like.

I am posting this so that we have both versions in one thread.

John

Edited by John Robinson

Very interesting variant Dick.

Even if they don't look very refined, I would take an embroidered version over a woven one any day. Never seen a woven one that I would trust 100%. Even if one looked good, passed the usual burn tests etc, I wouldn't very feel completely happy with it.

I have one of these, but to me, its a postwar piece. (Fortunately I was given it by a friend so I have no money invested in it)

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these, but to me, its a postwar piece. (Fortunately I was given it by a friend so I have no money invested in it)

I'm of the same opinion Gordon. Both were purchased many years ago in my first KM go-around. I don't think I paid a lot for either and have never been coninced that they are anymore than post-war novelty items. The one is just a nice variation that I've never seen before or since.

Dick