News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My most beautiful EK1 1914

JensF.

I want to show you my most beautiful EK1 1914 with case. The maker is "WS" (=Wagner & Sohn, Berlin) and it was awarded to an artillery observer who fought at Verdun, Ypern and at the Somme. Unfortunately I wasn't able to identify this officer yet.

The cross:

A part of the accompanying paper which described the deeds this officer did to get the EK1. Here is a short sum up in english:

-Distinguished himself in august 1916 due fast acting and reports

-Gathered (as observer in the second line near Frezenberg) on may 5th 1915 parts of the retreating german infantry and stopped the advancing british troops

-Guided the artillery fire of his battery on august 9th 1915 at Hooge (west of Ypres) at a britsh position so well, that the british tropps retreated due the heavy artillery fire. Later General French reported "(retreat)...because of the heavy artillery fire..."

-Accomplished a connection to the first infantry line during the Verdun offensive on february 29th 1916 and shelled an enemy position near Haumont (north of Verdun) so heavily that it was taken without losses and 250 french POWs were made

-Reserve-J?gerbattaillon 7 thanked the I. Btl./Reserve-Fu?artillerieregiment 7 for this action (the J?ger took the positions near Haumont)

-Great achievements as liaision officer at Verdun especially during the assault at Cumieres

-Great achievements and artillery observation at the Somme...

So we have his unit and the battles he fought in but still no name. If someone has got an idea on how to identify this brave officer? Maybe with a Rangliste of his regiment or with the regimental history of ResFuArtReg 7?

Maybe you ask how they did all this "heavy shelling"? With the "M?rser" of course ;)

His unit was equipped with the huge and feared 21 cm Langer M?rser 1910/16. Here some data and a picture:

Caliber: 21 cm

Weigth (in "Feuerstellung" = firing position): ca. 15 tons

Range: ca. 9400 m

Shell types: High explosive, shrapnel or gas

Shell weight: max. 120 kg (HE shell with filling of about 17 kg of explosives)

Edited by JensF.

I know this belongs to "Imperial German Weapons and Equipment" but this nice "dustbin" is a brass shell case for the M?rser. Caliber 215 x 231R. The case is dated "FEB 1917" and with the maker "Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe".

As far as beauty goes, your's is at the top, Jens! :beer: And a great story too. I think it's only a matter of time before you can name this artillery observer. Detailed history books that are well reseached should have that information. Alas the western front of ww1 is not within my area of expertise, so I can't give any directions, but still, it shouldn't be overwhelmingly difficult.

• 1 year later...

Your were right, Antti! After years of not knowing what to do about this EK I finally read the Reichsarchiv books about the Battle of Verdun and came across a name! There is a liaison officer and possibly an artillery-observer from I./Reserve-Fu?artillerieregiment 7 mentioned, who was assigned to Reserve-J?gerbattaillon 7 during the fightings for Haumont near Verdun. His name was Leutnant Wei?. I think this is my man!

Edited by JensF.

jens-

what an incredible oppurtunity to have both a medal

in such beautiful condition and potentially the

history of the recipient!

i have a number of EK's, and have spent some time

pondering what may have prompted their awarding

and who got them....

in line with the regulations for award of TR EK's,

this list of actions on herr weiss' part gives the

sense that this was for multiple acts rather than one.

the other thought the marvellous condition stimulates

is whether he had the opputunity to ever wear it....

very nice!

joe

Collecting these items often makes me wonder the story behind them. Who won the medal and how? What happened to that person after etc? Imagine if we knew. I have a collection of EK's here that is nice but not groundbreaking. However, who's to say the stoty behind some of my items? Maybe one of my pieces belonged to a very famous or infamous person. This could apply to the EK's in any ones collection. We'll never know in most cases but it does make you wonder.