News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cross Of ... Aluminum

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This was brought home by an American G.I. in 1945 and came by to visit today for the first time it has been out of it's kitbag since then.

If you look very VERY carefully (because you HAVE to-- it is that finely done :catjava: ) you will see the little round "rivets" where the corded rim, swastika, and individual numbers were "pegged" on:

Laboorious, time consuming hand work... and to what PURPOSE?

Interesting, bizarre, what is it??? (Asssuming 'tis pre-1963 and not related to you -- oh, biker boy -- as depicted in that first photo in that other thread, entitled -- temptingly -- "Nazis in Chains" -- yum?)

You seems to be developing a sub-theme here, Rick??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

The gatherings of a single local uniformed tourist in 1945--including an 1823 portrait miniature of Tsar Alexander I, of all things. :rolleyes:

The tiny loop at top suggests it was meant to suspend from... something, rather than be nailed down on a plaque. The meticulous reverse work suggests either a true pride in craftsmanship for its own sake which has vanished from our Earth or that the maker had a whole lot of time on his hands. The swastika and numbers are so perfect they could be taken for machine stampings rather than hand work.

The gatherings of a single local uniformed tourist in 1945--including an 1823 portrait miniature of Tsar Alexander I, of all things. :rolleyes:

The tiny loop at top suggests it was meant to suspend from... something, rather than be nailed down on a plaque. The meticulous reverse work suggests either a true pride in craftsmanship for its own sake which has vanished from our Earth or that the maker had a whole lot of time on his hands. The swastika and numbers are so perfect they could be taken for machine stampings rather than hand work.

It looks like a Gesellenst?ck - don't know the term in English

Guest Rick Research

Could well be. It certainly has that over-engineered detail-work Look What I Can Do appearance about it. :beer:

I wonder if there were once enormous Oakleaves hanging above it, too?

• 2 months later...