News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

That's another interesting one-- from the Armed Forces Jubilees, she was active military duty 1948 and 1958--

yet there are NO long service decorations at ALL in her group.

Obviously there is a "problem" with ACCURATE groups being worn by actual, real, living veterans.

I'd have rejected this ribbon bar as impossible if I found it loose. She is simply NOT wearing her complete awards correctly: No military long service awards.... are they missing, or the 1948/1958 now incorrectly ASSUMED to have been authorized simply for having been alive then?

Very very interesting-- :cheers:

That's another interesting one-- from the Armed Forces Jubilees, she was active military duty 1948 and 1958--

yet there are NO long service decorations at ALL in her group.

Obviously there is a "problem" with ACCURATE groups being worn by actual, real, living veterans.

I'd have rejected this ribbon bar as impossible if I found it loose. She is simply NOT wearing her complete awards correctly: No military long service awards.... are they missing, or the 1948/1958 now incorrectly ASSUMED to have been authorized simply for having been alive then?

Very very interesting-- :cheers:

Rick,

I've found the best way to identify U/I GPW-era HSU and Full Cavalier winners is to concentrate on rank (when depicted), principal orders/medals, Guards/Otlichnik badges and defense of/liberation of medals. The rest of the fruit salad is largely meaningless and, as you suggested, often inaccurate.

Regards,

slava1stclass

While his book is far from complete, Henry Sakaida's little Heroines of the Soviet Union, 1941-45 (Osprey Elite #90, ISBN 1-84176-598-8), pp. 54, 60, shows this is Guards Major Natalya Fedorovna Meklin, a "Night Witch".

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

There's your lady

To all:

This is not the same lady depicted in Post #1 above. I have since determined the lady in Post # 1 is HSU Nadezhda Popova. Both she and HSU Natalya Kravtsova nee: Meklin (Post # 7), however, served in the 46th Guards Air Regiment. Popova was still alive as of May 8, 2006.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

Thanks Slava for the information and the update.

This is quite consistent with the fact that the photos exhibition in the Victory Park Museum has been established between October and December 2006. At that time, I remember very well all veterans pictured were said as being still alive... So I was in fact surprised by the information provided by Ferdinand (death in 2005).

Cheers.

Ch.

To all:

Another very nice image of an unidentified HSU.

Regards,

slava1stclass

wow!!! Impresing display!!!!!

And was very, very beautiful

May she rest in Peace

Miguel

Edited by hipnos

• 3 months later...