News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to authenticate?

Depends-

For imperial german...many of the world class imperial experts reside here. However, they aren't given to "authenticating" a piece but more likely to give an opinion.

To be honest with you-I do not fully trust many of the dealers who provide "authentication papers". Not because they are inherently dishonest chaps, but they tend to err on the side of "saleability" as opposed to "historically accurate". This helps them pay their bills. Austrian bars seem especially a problem.

A series of imperial medal bars "authenticated" by a famous dealer in Hamburg (whose updates are often on Friday mornings) went to sale on the WAF last year and after I pointed out the incongruent/impossible nature of two of them, I was politely requested to 'tone it down'.

Frankly, I would trust implicitly my wallet to the collected hive knowledge of Rick, Verkuilen, Gordon, Saschaw, ST, Francois, SPM,WC, Heiko, Rick, Claudio and a few others here in imperial.

These people don't have vested interests either, they are scholars and gentlemen.

In other bailiwicks are obvious: Ed Haynes for example.

For British medals I'd go to Spinks or Dix, Noonan etc.

For US medal I'd go to FJP auctioneers.

I trust NO ONE 100% for TR stuff (except Gordon and Prosper). There are too many "experts" in that field who are masters of the secondary literature and little else.

Edited by Ulsterman

J?rg Nimmergut and Detlev Niemann both offer authentication services. I can't find Nimmergut's homepage, but Niemann can be found here.

It costs a bit, and there's always some risk in international shipping, but for peace of mind and resale it's worth it.

A series of imperial medal bars "authenticated" by a famous dealer in Hamburg (whose updates are often on Friday mornings) went to sale on the WAF last year and after I pointed out the incongruent/impossible nature of two of them, I was politely requested to 'tone it down'.

Who told you to tone it down?

Based on the photos shown, the cross looks like a nice original to me. The damaged enamel and lack of a case will hurt the sale. Put it up for under a grand and it should fly quickly.

I will caution you that my opinion is based solely on the images shown. In hand would be the best determination of authenticity. It really comes down to that these days.

Hello folks:

I believe that Ulsterman was a bit generous in lumping me in with the other folks mentioned! I discussed it all with the Mrs. and she stated that I don't know a bl**din thing!

Welcome broken9597 to the forum! As someone stated, the "authentication" process in this business is sometimes a bit off. I just saw a "PLM with Oakleaves" today on Ebay. The illustrious dealer who is selling this piece of trash mentions that he is "well known" (yes, so many have been shafted by this fellow that no one can forget him!). For everything that he sells he mentions that the product offered is "the real deal". This fellow can't stop waisting oxygen soon enough as far as I am concerned. Folks like him have ruined collecting for a great many.

Sorry about the diatribe!

I notice three (3) things immediately about your piece:

1) The ribbon without a doubt is the 1870's-era issued ribbon (harder to find than the cross!).

2) Someone cleaned the piece. As a person who started collecting coins this sort of thing makes me cringe! But I know that most medal folks don't care. I personally like things that have a nice patinae.

3) The small enamel cracking/chip on the reverse is the greatest detractor regarding value. We can be a bit pickey when looking for pieces for our collection.

In all, an interesting piece that from what I see looks authentic. Congratulations regarding your find.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, it was I who did the cleaning up of the cross. Thought that it would sell easier if it looked to be in a better state. I do hate that the enamel is damaged, this is due to the place that it was in storage. And considering, could have been alot worse. I'm still unsure of a selling price. I've been told everything from $1000 USD up to $1500 USD. So I'll just prayand see where the good Lord leads me, and go from there. Again, thanks for ALL of your help from everyone!!!