News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

I was not shure, if I should post this one at all, but here it is. It's the remains of a M-35 luftwaffe helmet. It's not a ground dug helmet. I found it lying on the ground, among the wreckage of a Junker Ju 188, that crashed towards the end of the war, not far from where I live. I think that it is kind of a sobering reminder, of the war. I allways get a bit sad, when I visit places like these crash sites, where young lives was lost.

All the best

Snoopy

The helmet is shattered like an eggshell!! That plane must have done down in a nose dive!

Hi Paul

The aircraft hit a hill side, in dense fog, and exploded. The aircraft was shattered into small pieces, except for the tail section.

Snoopy

Hi Paul

The aircraft hit a hill side, in dense fog, and exploded. The aircraft was shattered into small pieces, except for the tail section.

Snoopy

My gosh! Did you interview any witnesses? I would not have wanted to been any of the medical responders to that mess.

My gosh! Did you interview any witnesses? I would not have wanted to been any of the medical responders to that mess.

An old gentleman that I know, witnessed the accident, as a young man. He told me that he remembered hearing the sound of an aircraft, circling in the fog. Suddenly he saw a bright flash, lighting up the fog, and the sound of an explosion. The day after, he went up there, and he told me that it was not a pretty sight. The remains of the crew that was recovered, was burried by the germans at the crash site, and they are still there. The grave markers are gone, so no one knows for certain, where they are burried.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Snoopy,

Nice relic and a reminder that war is filled with tragedies that are not represented by mint and near mint artifacts desired by most collectors.

Thanks for showing it in its present cleaned form and from a different angle.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hi Snoopy,

Is there any evidence at all as to the identites of those killed in the crash? Do any records of the accident exist to your knowledge?

ERIC

Hello Eric

Thank's for your interesting question. This is the information, that I can find at the moment, about the aircraft and crew. The Junker Ju 188 A-3, was on a ferry flight, when the accident happened. The aircraft had a crew of four, and a passenger. It was quite normal, that the first mechanic, accompanied the crew, on such flights. It crashed on the 15th of february 1945. It belonged to 8./III KG 26, and it carried the identification codes, 1H+ES.

Snoopy

Names of the crew:

Pilot: Feldwebel Julius Conrad

Navigator: Unteroffizier Heinz Reusonett

Radio op.: Unteroffizier Georg R?mer

Fl. eng. Unteroffizer Hans Budenbach

1. mechanic: Wilhelm Utend?rffer

• 2 weeks later...