News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello friends,

now I'm back at home and I have time now for our hobby. :)

At first I have a question. It's possible to find out a name for this Frackschnalle? I got this bar just now, but I'm not able to find a Name.

The silver medal from Mecklenburg-Schwerin (second position) is no so rar, but only 9 persons from W?rttemberg I found out in my list. :banger:

Have someone an idea?

Best regards

Seeheld

Hello friends,

now I'm back at home and I have time now for our hobby. :)

At first I have a question. It's possible to find out a name for this Frackschnalle? I got this bar just now, but I'm not able to find a Name.

The silver medal from Mecklenburg-Schwerin (second position) is no so rar, but only 9 persons from W?rttemberg I found out in my list. :banger:

Have someone an idea?

Best regards

Seeheld

Nice bar....the second and third (from left to right) is the British coronation 1902 and British silver Royal Victorian medal, my guess is that it was awarded for the coronation......very nice group

From a memoir of the court (1914):

"On one of his annual visits to Marianbad, King Edward was continually being pestered by overly officious officials, and at first he was at a loss to interpret their unwelcome and constant attentions, until it was explained to him that they all wanted decorations. On the return journey, the Royal Train was about to steam out of Marianbad station, when the superintendent rushed up to the Kings' carriage and saluted violently, whereupon the train was stopped, the official was summoned to his Majesty's presence and duly decorated (so as to get the train moving again). At the conclusion of the party, Lord Beresford, who was in the party, turned to the King inquiring:

"What did that fellow want?"

Oh, a decoration, a ribbon".

"What did you give him?"

"I gave him the Royal Victorian order."

"Serves him jolly well right!"

In a very early horse and Hound magazine there's a recollection of a racing and grouse shooting party at Newmarket @ 1906 where King Edward bestowed "almost a score" ( 20) RVOs on various attending servants.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

The Weimar General Decoration and Coburg 1899 are in the right places but their "strange funny foreign" ribbons are swapped with each other.

What are the 9 W?ttemberger names?

It wll be easier to look them up in the Hof-und-Staats that way than by going through all the hundreds of old brown brittle pages. I would agree this must have been a household lakai of some sort.

Hi Rick,

you are right. The ribbons are on the wrong place.

Her are the names:

Benning, Karl --Obermusikmeister im 1. K?niglich W?rtembergischen Grenadier-Regiment K?nigin Nr.119

Berner, Heinrich --K?niglich W?rttembergischer Kammerdiener

Guter, Hugo --K?niglich W?rttembergischer Theaterverwalter

Haag, Jakob --Stuttgart, Landl?ger-Stationskommandant

Hummel, Georg --Stuttgart, Polizeiinspektor

Kurjries, Ferdinand --Karlsruhe, K?chenmeister

Riech, Wilhelm --K?niglich W?rttembergischer Kanzleidiener

Schnabel, Gottlieb --K?niglich W?rttembergischer Hausverwalter

Wieser, Oswald --Haushofmeister Seiner K?niglichen Hoheit des Herzogs Robert von W?rttemberg

Wolf, Friedrich --K?niglich W?rttembergischer Kammerdiener

I believe that this 10 persons are not the persons that we are looking for, because all mens received the silver merite medal at the 05.01.1912 during a states visit of the Grandduke Friedrich Franz IV. of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in W?rttemberg.

According to all other medals we have to search around 1900.

best regards

Frank alias Seeheld

Guest Rick Research

From the 1909 W?rttemberg Hof- und- Staatshandbuch, which lists first names so there is no doubt:

NOT Schnabel, Wieser, or Wolf who had different awards.

NOT Guter, who showed no awards at all in 1909.

The others are not listed, but I would exclude the policemen as well.

I think this man was not a W?rttemberger, but somebody whose first award as worn was from there.

Unfortunately I only have Rolls for the Ernestine medals from the middle of 1911 on.

I can't find any arwarded men from W?rttemberg around 1890-1905. :banger::banger::banger:

In the Ordens-Almanch from 1904/5 and 1908/09 is nothing.

So far is actually no chance for an indentification...

Guest Rick Research

I don't think he can have been a W?rttemberger-- just that he is wearing that award first. No 1911 Jubilee Medal has been bothering me-- this is probably why he did NOT have one. He wasn't a native! 3 of his 5 German awards are from Th?ringen, which may be where he actually came from.

IF we had the Weimar and Coburg rolls from the same period, we could match him up.

Somebody, sometime, will do those Rolls. We need a NEW brnach of Research Gnomes who aren't interested in 1914-18-- our main focus. :cheers: