News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help ID the owner of this ribbon bar

I would like to hold it in my hands to get a better opinion.

The combinations makes no sense at all.

Peacetime blue ribbon in front of the Hindenburg, after that the double red eagle, another peacetime blue ribbon...what is that???

Best regards

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the auction when this ribbon bar was on sale a long long long time ago. Last owner got it already without those douments.

I am far from an expert on judging ribbon bars originalaty, but I must say I like it.

0586455711049b_o.jpg

Timo, just because some joker gives a "certificate of authenticity" doean't make it real...

I find it almost incomprehensible that a General officer would mount his awards in total violation of standards, protocal and regulations....

The only possibility I see is if the first cornflower blue ribbon (in front of the Honor Cross) was being used to represent a W?rttemberg Friedrich's Order. If that is so, given the number of devices on the bar.... why no swords on this ribbon? He mounted a peace-time W?rttemberg Order before the Honor Cross and then mounted all of his Prussian peace-time orders after?? That makes no sense at all. More troubling is the presence of double Red Eagle ribbons... especially given the second one bears a crown.... this combination simply makes no sense at all.

Once it was in auction at Hermann Historica !!!

Stogie......... just one thing to think about............do you remember our special friend, the master of nonsense bars Freiherr von Dincklage-Campe :rolleyes:

He had awards on his bar that normally were not shown on bars................. what, when our friend here did the same? Could it be possible that the first red eagle order is a higher class, (against the rules) represented by this ribbon???

Yes, I remember that one... and I am considering that he may have used double RAO's for his 3. kl. und 4.kl.mK.... but it still is really hard to wrap my head around this combination... even the bar you show bore more logic than this one!

Guest Rick Research

Ahhh, von Dincklage-Campe-- the Madman of Ribbon Bars!

He got everything wrong, but we were able to PROVE that the combination-- corrected from how he wore it-- WAS his.

As Daniel has said, and I repeat: the combination certainly LOOKS old on the "von Schabel" bar but it makes NO SENSE whatsoever, and the grades of awards shown on it

1) do not match his

2) suggest a Major

3) again and again are so completely defiant of all sane and proper regulations as to defy identification without a named photo of the joker actually WEARING it.

Let me simply state reality:

there are NO greater living experts on identifying German award groups than the very small circle of my fellow Research Gnomes who post here on this Forum. That's decades of experience doing this. We all know each other, and value each other's special expertise.

When even we cannot find something, it's well and truly unfindable.

And the assertions of ebay sellers who claim that THEY are somehow miraculously more expert than we are, are laughable.

My gut likes this bar. The devices look - and presumably are - perfectly good, especially the crown is :love:. The sewing seems fine to me, too. Stogierick explained what may be possible about the plain blue ribbon - swords missing, whatever the reason, or a peace time award worn stipidly.

The empty RAO ribbon suggestst a 3rd class. Did they just mount no bow or were they worn without bow if the 4th class had a crown? I'm not sure about these issues, but what I know for sure is that the 4th class with the royal crown was still worn when higher classes were awarded, so this makes (almost) perfectly sense to me. Furthermore the combination looks to be "higher" than a Majors with RAO3S - should be Oberst to Generalmajor? I don't know when Generalleutnant a.D. was his rank, but that may be right. Couldn't someone check what awards Schnabel had and post it here roughly? Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not the seller, I just have a better feeling with it than you have. ;)

that`s it...............my feeling with the bar is absolutely good too!!!! Maybe it is not Von Schabel and maybe it makes no sense - BUT - Ithink the bar is ok and not new made - 100% !!!! Don`t worry Timo, if it is not Von Schabel maybe some day a stupid wearer photo appears and the sun will shine over Dublin again :beer:

Thanks Bernd. I just realized the swords on MVO ribbon are silver which suggest a lower rank than RAO4Kr and RAO3S. It looks good but I'm not sure about it. It may be a put together from good parts...? I don't know, sorry...

Again I must add that once of the reasons I trace a ribbon bar or medal bar before I buy it to make sure that it is genuine. If the combination can be traced and the bar looks like it has not been messed with then in all probability it is good. I key is to verify before laying out the cash. As Rick said group on this forum is the best and most experienced that I know of the their advice will save you from time effort and money.

I?m sorry to say, but a von Schnabel never got a Bavarian MVO.

It is not his bar!

Bernd

Bernd , I have Generalmajor Schabel in the 1914 rank list as commander 2.Fu?artillerie-Brigade with bavarian MVO 4.class with crown !!!

Also he has there:

red eagle 3.class with bow

red eagle 4.class with crown

crown order 2.class

long service 25 years

W?rttemberg order of the crown

W?rttemberg Friedrichsorden knights cross 1.class

...............if we think now for one second - only one little second - that he mounted his awards as weired as Dincklage-Campe................

.................why should not the first wider blue ribbon be the ribbon for his crown order 2.class....second blue ribbon for Friedrichorden... on BMVO maybe the crown was changed into swords.... the bow for the read eagle 3 is missing.....then we would have the pre war awards of von Schabel....

has anyone his complete ww1 awards?????????????

Bernd , I have Generalmajor Schabel in the 1914 rank list as commander 2.Fu?artillerie-Brigade with bavarian MVO 4.class with crown !!!

Heiko, you are right. I mixed up the names Schabel and Schnabel. Nevertheless Schabel had the 4th class with crown but returned it 1914 in order to get the MVO 2nd class. He also got the MVO2nd class with swords during WWI.

So still no MVO on his medal bar during/after WWI.

After thinking again and again I come with the following theory:

- EK2 is clear

Now 3 commander classes as unofficial ?Kleindekoration?:

- Hohenzollern Commander with X - in the published rolls

- W?rttemberg Crown Order commander with X - in the soon-published Wtbg roll

- Bayern MVO 2 with X with incorrect silver swords - in the published rolls

One more war decoration

- Hessen Bravery Medal

Another inofficial ?Kleindekoration?

- Preu?. Crown Order 2nd class

The others seems to be o.k. as:

- Hindenburg cross

- RAO3 bow missing

- RAO4 with crown

- W?rttemberg Friedrich knight 1st class

- Preu?. XXV

- Preu?. Centenary

- ?st. MVK 3 with war dec.

Under this circumstances it can indeed be the bar of MajGen Johannes Aloys Schabel.

Best regards

Daniel

Sorry Daniel, but I don?t think a General will wear a MVO4x on the ribbon bar when he got a 2x (in gold).

We know that a lot of soldiers mixed up their bars in sequence, with skipped decorations and sometimes showing more than they got. But I don?t think a General will wear five classes under worth.

It's weird but I "believe" in the bar, now more than before of course. Someone who won a non-combattant award wouldn't wear a combattant's ribbon with additional, useless swords, right? Well, Dincklage-Campe _did_. There are things that make no sense at all and though are good. This should not make Frankenstein bars legit, it's just for not condamming good, actually great bars too fast... ;)