News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Merit Medal 275.195 Group

A little bravery medal group.

Bravery medal s/n: 275.195

Medal for the Defence of Stalingrad

Medal for the Victory over Germany

to

Vasilenko; Jakow, Sidorowitsch

Andreas,

He received a Military Merit (commonly called Combat Services :rolleyes: ) medal, not a Bravery medal.

Marc

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Yup, thats a Military Merit Medal not a Bravery Medal-- you have the medals for this complete trio?

Yakov Sidorovich Vasilenko

Medals Book # B 823028 shows MMM 275,195 privileges starting June 1943, so a May 1943 award, filled out on 16 July 1947

His Awards Record Card verifies that Medals Book, and the MMM on 3 May 1943 by decree of the Central Front (!), Defense of Stalingrad, and Victory Over Germany, filled out 27.6.47.

Born 1912 in the village of Vysachki, Lybenskogo Raion, Poltavskaya Oblast. Memeber of the CPSU since 1944. 4th grade education, Ukrainian. In the Red Army 22.6.41 to 12.12.45 as a Medical Orderly at Mobile Field Hospital No.60

The line is too light for me to read but I think it says he was a Kolkhoznik back in his home village when the ARC was filled out.

The award recommendation was put in by his commander on 26 January 1943 and the general drift is that he deserved this for long long hard work at the hospital at Stalingrad, ending--if I am reading that correctly-- that his specialty was "printing" (presumably labelling patients for correct treatment at triage). That takes all the exhaustion and horror right out of what he actually went through, caring for an endless number of casualties.

Thanks Rick, for your translation! Yes, naturally it is a military merit medal.

Yesterday I was to tired to post pictures of the medal. I will do this this evening.

regards

Andreas

Guest Rick Research

That's odd. I have two Russian dictionaries. Both have pechnik-- one says "printer," the other "stove-maker." The one that says stove-maker has pechatnik as printer. :beer:

Given the time of his work (the winter of 42-43), and his lack of education, perhaps "stoker" is logical. The job of keeping a hospital warm in Stalingrad during the fighting, if well carried out, would indeed be worth a medal from all I've read. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

I don't know-- it was a MOBILE Field Hospital (M.A.S.H.) so I'd have guessed they were in tents?

Tents make sense. In the city itself many "hospitals" were caves in the river bank face. Or in basements of (inevitably ruined) buildings. I've no idea what a Soviet MASH unit circa 1942 was made up of. Anyway, in the winter of 42-43 anywhere wounded were taken heat would be a priority. Frost injuries, and outright freezing to death, was a not uncommon fate on both sides of the line in that horrendous battle.

Guest Rick Research

I hope somebody with the time and :rolleyes: language skills would kindly do a translation of the citation, since none of that is actually specified. It's very laconic from my skimming of it and undoubtedly didn't do credit to his actual service-- just he got the low end of awards as the bottom of the military hierarchy.

That's odd. I have two Russian dictionaries. Both have pechnik-- one says "printer," the other "stove-maker." The one that says stove-maker has pechatnik as printer. :beer:

Rick,

The word "печник" indeed means "stove-maker", "stove-setter", or "stove-man"; "печатник" means "printer". So, one of your dictionaries is right (the other one, well, :rolleyes: ).

The word for "stoker" or "boiler-man" is "истопник", "кочегар", or "котельный машинист".

Marc

Edited by Lapa

Печник - worker which does an oven.

I am assured, that it did and served heating in hospital. In the winter it is very important.

:cheers:

I hope somebody with the time and :rolleyes: language skills would kindly do a translation of the citation, since none of that is actually specified. It's very laconic from my skimming of it and undoubtedly didn't do credit to his actual service-- just he got the low end of awards as the bottom of the military hierarchy.

"... Except the work as hospital attendant Vasilenko works over improvement of the equipment and supervision over a condition of internal premises of hospital on the speciality as the stoker much."