News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Friends,

today I went to a nice village in the middel of nowhere in Germany and I got from an antique dealer a number of medalbars and other single decorations. (the price was on the lower level :rolleyes: )

My problem is, that I don't know witch decoration is missing??? :speechless:

HOH3X or PrME1?

According to the decorations and battle clasps this man was an officer at Granddukes Friedrich Franz II. of Mecklenburg-Schwerin 2nd Army-Group in the franco-prussian war 1870/71.

His missing decoration he gat in the austrian-prussian war 1866. (maybe as Fahnenjunker? or allready as officer).

I have no name...

I checked out the DOA 1904/05 and 1908/09 without maches. :banger:

regards

Seeheld

Guest Rick Research

I would say it it 99.9999 percent certainly a Prussian Crown Order 4 with Swords for 1866.

Wonderful Oberst's bar... now to FIND the early pattern KO4X! :speechless1:

And yes, I know, I know-- there are no "X am Ringe" on the KO3.... but the heightwhere the award was removed does not suggest anything else.

I would say it it 99.9999 percent certainly a Prussian Crown Order 4 with Swords for 1866.

Wonderful Oberst's bar... now to FIND the early pattern KO4X! :speechless1:

And yes, I know, I know-- there are no "X am Ringe" on the KO3.... but the heightwhere the award was removed does not suggest anything else.

I can not believe that the missing order is the PrKO4X because the missing Swords on PrKO3! In 1866 around 35 officers are awarded with HOH3X. On the otherside maybe he was to young for an officer grade in 1866. This is the reason why I'm thinking about the PrME1.

One evidence for an Officer from Mecklenburg is also the KDM 1866. Reverse is written "Treuen Kriegern". Specially the troops from Mecklenburg are arwarded with this medal, because this contingent was fighting in Bavaria and not in K?nigsgr?tz.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I got an other medalbar (the dealer told me that this medals came from the same family) from WW I. One of the decorations is the Bremen Hanseatic Cross. The Hanseatic Regiments combated together with the Mecklenburg troops at all wars since 1813-1918.

Guest Rick Research

Why MEZ2 and not MEZ1? And as a Mecklenburger, would he have been exempt from the weird attachments that Prussians got?

Why MEZ2 and not MEZ1? And as a Mecklenburger, would he have been exempt from the weird attachments that Prussians got?

PrME2 (MEZ2) is the qualification for MEZ1. Sofar is a MEZ! not possible. My theorie is that this man was in 1866 too young for an officer rank and he was not exempt from prussian decorations. The MEZ2 is a decoration also for cadets in 1864 and 1866. In the rank list you can find a number of Oberste and other higher rank officers with this medal.

PrME2 (MEZ2) is the qualification for MEZ1. Sofar is a MEZ! not possible. My theorie is that this man was in 1866 too young for an officer rank and he was not exempt from prussian decorations. The MEZ2 is a decoration also for cadets in 1864 and 1866. In the rank list you can find a number of Oberste and other higher rank officers with this medal.

Like for example Generalmajor Paul Hoeckner (MEZ2 in ranklist 1904). The MEZ2 is on the wrong place, but the bar is quite similar to the above.

Edited by Komtur

Not all units were involved in each and every battle. It might be possible to look up the units that took part in the specific battles or action on the bar, eliminate units that were at each and every one of the ones on the bar. From that it might be possible to narrow down the list of officers.

He might not have fought in the 1864 Danish or 1866 Austrian battles with the Prussians. In 1870/71 he'd have been on the "Prussian" side. That might explain the absence of "earlier" Prussian awards.

By the way....that's one very nice bar. Congratulieren!

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

just for information. Our Member W. Nickel found out the name for this bar.

It's Hermann Wagener served at the Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr.9 (Schleswig-Holsteinisches) :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

At DOA 1908/09 he is listed at Major aD, (born. 19.06.1845) with following decorations:

KDM70, KDM66, MSwMV70 2, PRAO 4 (18.01.1892, maybe when he left the Army), PKrO 3 (10.06.1901), PEK70 2, PDA25, PME 2 (20.09.1866), PCM, T?rO 3 (Neckcross).

The PRAO 3 mSchl he got at the 15.10.1912.

Now it's clear that the MEZ2 was missing.

Thank you Werner! :cheers: