News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This beauty is soon to be joining my collection, courtesy of our good Stogierick:

IPB Image

IPB Image

One of 154 Saxe-Weimar White Falcon 1st Classes out there. Thankfully, unlike my other example of this award, it doesn't look like it was pulled off of a sunken U-boat. (I don't have the picture handy, but it gives new meaning to the word "salty".) Hopefully the White Falcon rolls will be published, barring that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Finnish ribbon might ultimately prove to be the decisive clue. I can't imagine that there would have been that many of the 154 that were over there, had this particular combination of awards, and survived the war.

Well, one can hope...

--Chris

What makes you think it is a first class?

They looked different in color to me, but...it always helps to see the real thing. Yet, the 1st class was awarded only very scaresly....normally found with some more orders and medals...anyway

well, yes, a mistake is always possible.......... but I assumed AOR1wX, SWWA1wX........... I wouldn't blink a bit even if 2. kl. Not too many of those around either.

My biggest collecting error. Owning a 1.kl. w. swords and selling it.......... only one I've ever held. Bummer.

Hmmm. I would think it is a knight 2nd class. Swords might be outfitters mistake.

BTW, I have th brother of Your bar...

Best regards

Daniel

What is that ribbon in last place? I can't, for the life of me, place it.

Also, can anyone more familiar with the situation in Finland comment as to just how big the German involvement actually was. How big a pool of officers of sufficient rank to net a 1st class would have been over there?

--Chris

P.S.

Here's the aforementioned salty bar:

Edited by landsknechte

What is that ribbon in last place? I can't, for the life of me, place it.

Also, can anyone more familiar with the situation in Finland comment as to just how big the German involvement actually was. How big a pool of officers of sufficient rank to net a 1st class would have been over there?

The last ribbon is the 1938 commemorative medal for the conquest of Helsinki.

There's a thread going on about German officers in Finland at the central powers awards forum. Maybe the that Looking at the period photos, that particular combination seems to have been pretty usual among the officers of the Saxon karabiniers, but then again, the photos show everyone of them with some sort of cross of liberty too.

Pete

The last ribbon is the 1938 commemorative medal for the conquest of Helsinki.

There's a thread going on about German officers in Finland at the central powers awards forum. Maybe the that Looking at the period photos, that particular combination seems to have been pretty usual among the officers of the Saxon karabiniers, but then again, the photos show everyone of them with some sort of cross of liberty too.

Pete

So far, from what Rick's posted, it looks like Rittmeister Ehrenkrook is the only one from that unit that got the White Falcon (of either grade) and survived long enough to have gotten the Hindenburg Cross. The other two were dead before 1934. Are there any pictures of him in particular?

Thanks,

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte

So far, from what Rick's posted, it looks like Rittmeister Ehrenkrook is the only one from that unit that got the White Falcon (of either grade) and survived long enough to have gotten the Hindenburg Cross. The other two were dead before 1934. Are there any pictures of him in particular?

Thanks,

--Chris

Sorry, can't find a picture of him, but he was pretty much in the heat of the action, so I'd expect him to have a cross of liberty of some sort.

Pete

Sorry, can't find a picture of him, but he was pretty much in the heat of the action, so I'd expect him to have a cross of liberty of some sort.

Pete

Right now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something comes out of Rick looking through the names of the Naval personnel that you posted in that other thread. :rolleyes:

--Chris

Hi Chris, you should probably print those lists out and save them... then you can comb through them too!

This is precisely the sort of resource I love to keep on tap. However, without any ranklists at my disposal, I don't really have a brush to comb with. :blush:

Finally got the bar in hand... The swords on the White Falcon are silver. Granted they're a little bit on the yellowish side of silver, but compared to how downright yellow the swords on the Albrechtorden and the Hindenburg Cross are - I'm convinced that it's supposed to be a Knight 2nd Class. (How many of the SWF-R2 were there? I only retained the number of the SWF-R1 in my head.)

The bar with the Helsinki ribbon might indeed be a close relative. :-)

Edit: Attached a better pic.

Edited by landsknechte