News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Documents for Lake Khasan Badges

Guest Rick Research

Nathan Lane impersonator Pavel Fedorovich Sotnikov got his on 22 March 1941:

[attachmentid=13846]

His photo was printed on some weird pre-printed GRID photo paper-- whether this was for some screwball phrenological "face science" purpose or just re-using on hand paper from something else (mapping?) I don't know. I have had several personnel file photos come back with research, that used this same grid square paper.

But what is interesting is that he is wearing a screwback Order of the Red Banner probably won there, along with a Voroshilov Marksman badge. Note the BIZARRE collar tabs-- line officer style (gilt edged) but with NO rank devices..,

and tiny AIRPLANE devices--- early Aeroflot??????

[attachmentid=13847]

Guest Rick Research

With the grids showing better

[attachmentid=13848]

Mine has no unit stamp. Flyer Vasiliev's dramatic posed version omits the stamped "signatures!" And gotta love that "acorn top" on Comrade Tscherbakov!!! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

That looks like a Valor Medal-- or is it the Military Merit Medal? What rank was he?

You MAY be able to bring the faded out ink up on a plain old xerox machine-- try darkening the contrast setting and you may get a ghost reading. The ink might also have been literally WASHED away-- these little books went through it ALL.

That looks like a Valor Medal-- or is it the Military Merit Medal? What rank was he?

You MAY be able to bring the faded out ink up on a plain old xerox machine-- try darkening the contrast setting and you may get a ghost reading. The ink might also have been literally WASHED away-- these little books went through it ALL.

I'm not certain but I think it is a combat service medal. I'll try to get it for sure by scanning it very dark and playing with Photoshop. The badge besides the medal is a GTO hanging badge.

Here is the document scanned with excessive darkness. It did bring out some of the handwriting and even brought out the stamp over the photograph. If anybody has good eyes, please feel free to advise me the name of my recipient. Thanks

• 1 year later...
    • 6 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Years pass...we remain, eh? :beer:

Unfortunately, I'm not finding ANYTHING new that is a) affordable and b) doesn't duplicate what I've already got. Nothing new with me.

And still no idea whaat Comrade Sotnikov's collar insignia represented....

and tiny AIRPLANE devices--- early Aeroflot??????

Nope.

He has military collars tabs

Civil aviation pilots had these

Could be unofficial, self-made insignia ...

Guest Rick Research

Very interesting! So what on Earth could military officer tabs (bullion edges) with NO rank at all and... tiny little airplanes have been? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Very interesting! So what on Earth could military officer tabs (bullion edges) with NO rank at all and... tiny little airplanes have been? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Possible variant advisor ...

Personally I`ve never seen such insignia ...

Also I can`t find any traces of it in official regulations from 20s and 30s...