News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, now time to conclude... :P Thanks to Order of Victory for this challenge, and thanks to all for your participation and guesses :jumping::jumping: .

I also would be interested in knowing on which occasion the pic has been taken on 30 july 1965. Was this a specific celebration or ceremony ?

See below another pic of the same date.

What is sure is that the French firm Matra, who designed and produced the Matra Djet 5, has seen this model's sales increase from 28 cars in 1964 to 365 units in 1965. The "Gagarin effect" certainly contributed to this.

Again, thanks to everyone.

I think It's my turn, now.... :P

Ch.

Ok, let's go!!!! :jumping: One not too much obscure (I think) :

Question : Who am I ?

I am the youngest female Heroine of the Soviet Union of the Great Patriotic War.

On this picture, I am 14 years old.

Simple question : who am I ?

Good hunt!! Good luck!!

Ch.

Pic : Henry Sakaida's "Heroines of the Soviet Union" (Osprey).

Edited by Christophe

Good try, and not far!!! ;)

But it is not her. Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya was the first female Heroine of the Great patriotic War (HSU posthumously awarded on 16 February 1942), bur not the youngest one.

When she has been hanged, she was 18 years, 2 months old.

The "mystery" Heroin also got her HSU posthumously, but later. When she died, she was only 17 years old.

Of course, a bonus for the one amongst us who will say why she got her HSU :beer: .

Ch.

No, it is not Ekaterina Zelenko. :P

Ekaterina Zelenko was born in 1916 (so, 25 years old in 1941...).

She won her HSU for her successful ramming of a German ME-109 fighter plane in September 1941, just before her fatal crash due to her bomber being attacked by five ME-109s, two (or three, according to one account) of which she destroyed before her death. She also was the first woman to fly in combat in WWII, in the war against Finland in 1939-1940.

The "mystery" Heroin is not her... :shame:

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for answering quite late, but several trips abroad made me late on this one...

Wild Card, as you said, your answer is not the right one :blush: ...

A last hint before I give the answer ?

The "mystery" Heroin got her HSU posthumously on 1st July 1958, along with partisan leader Yefrosinya Zenkova. There is a monument dedicated to her in the city of Minsk.

Any guess ? :P

Ch.