News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Hmmm..., okay, let's make this a little easier.

What would be a perfect job for the former national motorcycle racing champion (our mystery guest) in The Great Patriotic War?

Bonus points for his name.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Order of Victory. Vindication at last! :jumping::jumping:

For those of you who might be interested in this Kirov memorial, I would like to direct your attention to the following web page, which tells the story and has some fine pictures as well:

http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magaz...s/92_kirov.html

I was not quite prepared to follow up with a new challenge (forgot about the price of winning); but am working on a little something that I know will be different; and some of fun as well. Please give me just a bit of time here.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Thanks to Order of Victory and Wild Card!! :jumping:

A very nice tour and trivia!!! A good question from OoV that let us speechless (except Wild Card)... I would be more than interested if anyone here has more pics of this monument to post!!!

Wild Card, thanks for the link : a very infoirmative one about Baku's architectural history!!

Ch.

Thanks Christophe, I do have some more pics but they are to big to scan, and there does not seem to be any decent pics on the interenet at moment

Hers a period post card of the Kirov memorial.

Order of Victory

Thanks for the pic. I'm really intrigated by this monument that does not exist anymore... and of which no one seems to have good pics...

If you have more pics (that you can post), please, don't hesit to open a new thread about it...

Cheers.

Ch.

And, now, back to Wild Card question : would our man be a kind of "estafette" ?

Hi Christophe,

As I find the definition of ?estafette? to be ?a courier (on horseback)?, I can?t say that ?estafette? would be an accurate term. For what it?s worth, our mystery guest had a specific job title/assignment.

Good Luck! :cheers:

Wild Card

Hi Christophe,

As I find the definition of ?estafette? to be ?a courier (on horseback)?, I can?t say that ?estafette? would be an accurate term. For what it?s worth, our mystery guest had a specific job title/assignment.

Good Luck! :cheers:

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card,

You're right : an estafette is a courier who conveys messages to another courier; a military courier sent from one part of an army to another. But he is not only on horseback, and this includes the use of motorcycles...

So, I thought our man could have been a courier with motorcycle...

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

Your logic sure makes a lot of sense. The twist is that for the GPW, our mystery guest went from two wheels to four. Keep in mind that, from post #430, ?our mystery guest had a specific job title/assignment.?

Another clue. Obviously, he wasn?t exactly Kay Summersby. :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

We have a winner! Our mystery guest, Alexander Nickoliavitch Buchin, served as Marshal Georgi Zuhkov?s driver from 1941 to 1947. Believe me, a hell of a guy. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Great job and congratulations, Christophe! :beer:

Wild Card

Congratulations Christophe!!!

As soon as the cheering dies down I'll be looking for your next question.

Congratulations, too, on France's big win over Portugal. Zidane is France's athlete but he is the world's athlete too. I love to watch him and I can't believe he's going to retire. Well, if you can afford too, I guess it's best to go out at the top of your game.

Chuck

Thanks guys for the compliments!!! :beer: And thanks to Wild Card for a good and informative question :jumping: .

I have been quite lucky on this one... and helped by the fact I was quite sure our man was the driver of a Soviet personality during the war. But, which one ? A small pic of Alexander Buchin convinced me...

So, it will be my turn now... :speechless: I have to think about a good question... :P

Ch.

Some statistics...

This small game has been launched more than 8 months ago now, and since :

* 34 questions asked,

* with 438 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 4630 times.

* 20 Members of the Forum played, and 15 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 5 : Bryan (Soviet) and Christophe.

* 2 : Andreas (Alfred), Chuck (in Oregon), Ed (Haynes), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) Kim (Kimj) and Wild Card.

* 1 : Darrell, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Order of Victory, Rick (Stogieman) and Steen (Ammentorp).

Thanks to all for your participation :beer: .

Now, let's have fun again with the 35th question... mine!!! :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Sorry for the delay... Here is my question :

This question is related to the Order of Merit for the Country of the Federation of Russia.

This order is the highest order of the Russian Federation. It has been established on 2 March 1994, by decree of President Yeltsyn. It is conferred to the citizens of the Federation and foreigners for outstanding contribution to the development of Russian statehood, economy and strengthening of friendship between the Federation and other countries.

It has several classes : 1st Class (Grand Cross), 2nd (Commander with Star), 3rd (Commander), 4th (Member), and a gold and silver medal as a lower degree.

Below are pics of the insigna and the star of the 1st Class.

Now, here are my questions; I don't know if they will be too easy or too obscure... :P

4 questions :

1. Who has been the first recipient of the 1st Class of this Order ?

2. And when ?

3. Who has been the first recipient of the 2nd Class of this Order ?

4. And when ?

Good hunt or good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Ch.

Pics : www.award.adm.gov.ru

As these questions (in my opinion) don't have the same level of "obscurity", the winner will be the one amongst you who earns the most, with points "attributed" for each complete answer.

Answering question 1 gives 1 point. Q2 = 3 pts. Q3 = 1 pt. Q4 = 2pts.

Again, here are the questions :

4 questions :

2. And when ?

4. And when ?

Good hunt or good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Ch.

Order of Victory,

Very good beginning :jumping::jumping:

You're right, it is Jacques Chirac. :D

2. And when ?

You said : 1997. Correct, but not complete. Could you provide the complete date ?... Not an easy one to find :rolleyes:

For the 2nd Class, sorry, but it is not the right answer :( .

Good beginning, you have already 2,5 points (I consider the question 2 only half answered :P ).

Bravo!!!!

Who will give the answer to all questions :

Jacques Chirac

2. And when ?

1997 (exact date to be completed).

?

4. And when ?

?

Ch.

No one to try ? Again, here are the questions, only partially answered by Order of Victory :

1. Who has been the first recipient of the 1st Class of the Order of Merit for the Country of the Federation of Russia ?

Jacques Chirac

2. And when ?

1997 (exact date to be completed).

?

4. And when ?

?

Come on guys!!! :beer:

Ch.

I cant any thing to tie France and Russia togather in 1997, unless it was awarded to CHirac for dissolving the French parliament :unsure:.

I cant find any mention of the award in Chirac's biography :banger:

As for the second class, I cant find any mention any of the recipents :banger:

Order of Victory

Edited by order_of_victory