News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet badges

Since the Orders and Medals I am missing from my collection are too expensive, I have branched off into the badges. My badges collection is starting to accumulate pretty nicely. I have a few WW2 Otlichnik badges, MVD and others. Over the last months, I purchased no less than 12 books on badges, so if you need a badge ID, just let me know and I'll look it up. Any other badge collectors??

Unit/veteran badges: Couple of better made for WW2 examples in here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=964

or ones like these? (my recent ones are all naval or naval border guards, from Leningrad)

[attachmentid=15662]

[attachmentid=15663]

I have both types, but I mean the WWII ones. I'm working on a book and currently have about 300 (two of the three pictured on your link). I know it is impossible to get all of them, but figure it is a starting point for those that are interested.

Hello,

I would like not be to be "killjoy", but I have heard that these KGB/naval border guard badges are

fantasy pieces.

Has somebody seen a document for these badges or has somebody a picture of a soldier wearing

a badge? These could be a prove that they exist.

I have also a bunch of these badges, I noticed that they have no mint mark or producer mark (as other badges) and they are made from lower quality. The screw is glued to the metal and is not in the middle.

best regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Thanks Dudeman,

How can one tell the difference in the two?(WW2 and post war)

I guess I should clarify. The veterans badges are ALL manufactured post-war, usually in the 70's 80's and 90's, but I've seen some as late as 2003. I can't imagine many more will be made since there won't be enough surviving unit members to warrant a badge.

The WWII veterans badges do not have prices on the back since they weren't for sale and usually had an accompanying document, though these often get separated from the badge. I have only about 30-40 documents.

The WWII veterans badges were given to veterans and often have place names or battles where the unit fought or even display the word "VETERAN" boldly.

Post WWII-unit badges such as these ship badges were meant for unit gifts or mementoes.

As to whether these ship badges are fantasy, it's possible. I haven't seen anything other than their "cheaper" manufacturer, but I've also seen corresponding "cheap" manufacture on even official issue badges.

As to the whether the ship badges are fantasy pieces or not, I guess it is possible.

Guard Badges

Here are three guard badges from different time periods and producer.

1. Pobeda factory without fringes (wartime production)

2. MMD

3. Pobeda factory (see attached stamp)

I believe the screwplate on the first badge is not original to the badge.

Rusty.

Edited by HuliganRS

Hello,

I would like not be to be "killjoy", but I have heard that these KGB/naval border guard badges are

fantasy pieces.

Has somebody seen a document for these badges or has somebody a picture of a soldier wearing

I have also a bunch of these badges, I noticed that they have no mint mark or producer mark (as other badges) and they are made from lower quality. The screw is glued to the metal and is not in the middle.

best regards

Andreas

I agree!

this topic has been discussed on other forums and there has never been photographic or documented proof of them being worn officially. With this said, like all things in Russia they were sold at the shipyards and have been seen worn by veterans and such.

Rusty.

Hello,

fantasy pieces.

best regards

Andreas

In checking with the book Badges and Medals of the Russian Fleet 1945-2004 Part 2, the badge pictured in post 9 on the right is on page 113 and the one on the left is on page 130. I will try to translate what the badges were for, but, they may be legit badges.

Guest Rick Research

I've never questioned them-- the ones I have are for specific ships, though some are generic "veteran" badges too.

Like the submarine crew launching/jubilee badges, they tend to be in bronze/gilt sort of finished hard metal, sometimes screw backed and often pin backed but almost NEVER maker marked.

These were certainly not "official" badges and probably sold in Post Exchanges as "unit pride" items.

I used to have dozens of the submarine launching/anniversary in service crew badges, never paid any attention to them, but had the "anonymous" badges hand identified by a senior retired officer from the Leningrad naval shipyard who kept track of them as his own service related hobby.

These two happen to actually be DATED-- both "1982," and the construction of all of these is what I'd expect for that period--

Delta III Class submarine K-44 crew badge:

[attachmentid=15858]

Both in a gilt hard metal with very nice enamelwork, tiny screws with the same unmarked plain nuts

And 1982 Exercise "Molniya" for naval border guard vessels:

[attachmentid=15859]

Considering the average "issue" military badges from the same period are aluminum flashed "Staybrite" with schlocky plastenamal, I'd say these are BETTER than the government issued badges.

Guest Rick Research

Here are two different ones for Delta IV class submarine K-51 "in the name of the XXVIth Party Congress." The rounder badge has a massive crimped on screw thread that would do credit to an Order and atypically bears a maker marked nut, though I cannot quite make it out. The taller thinner badge is pinback.

[attachmentid=15860]

couple of tries at the nut. It is "Z-D" for "Factory" over what looks like a center of the letter height dot, DAL and either two - - marks or mistruck letters, with tiny "MET" on the other side of the thumb bars:

[attachmentid=15863][attachmentid=15864]

These are all consistent with the materials, constrution, and workmanship of the naval border guard ships' crew badges.

• 10 months later...