News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Jubilee Medal 2002

Guest Darrell

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Excellent start.

I'm typing out handwritten German 1914-1918 Rolls that have never seen the light of day before so...

who knows: the Future Collectors of 2093 may be THANKING you for your participation! :cheers:

These were issued NAMED, right? :catjava:

These were issued NAMED, right?

Wrong...............unnamed.

Too much bother for the powers that be to name them, I suppose.

I had the dubious privilege of handing out about 200 of these things to officers in the division I was serving in at the time.

I can't actually remember who gave me mine.

Probably just kept one back for myself. :rolleyes:

Well....they were issued according to certain criteria, so the military, police, fire service etc unit should have a record of who they went to within the unit. Presumably there is nothing like a centralised record, but there should be one in each police force etc?

Ignoring (as if that were possible) the constraints of data protection, security considerations etc, it might well be possible to compile a list of, say, the recipients in each police force?

Well....they were issued according to certain criteria, so the military, police, fire service etc unit should have a record of who they went to within the unit. Presumably there is nothing like a centralised record, but there should be one in each police force etc?

Ignoring (as if that were possible) the constraints of data protection, security considerations etc, it might well be possible to compile a list of, say, the recipients in each police force?

I can see where your coming from but what if.......

A guy was who had 2 years service in the police, but 20 years service in the TA? Got a medal from the army,but not the police, or indeed visa versa? There are endless possibilities, I don`t think it would be possible to compile a 100% acurate list, but I maybe wrong? :cheers:

I can see where your coming from but what if.......a guy was who had 2 years service in the police, but 20 years service in the TA? Got a medal from the army,but not the police, or indeed visa versa? There are endless possibilities.

A chap in my old Force got the medal twice..............one medal from the police and one from the RNLI, as he had served many years on the lifeboats in his spare time.

I wonder how he wears two of them? :rolleyes:

The likelyhood of being able to compile an accurate list is not very high on this one. I doubt that many services who were entitled to award their personnel have kept a definitive list, compounded by the lack of naming is a recipe for disaster for future researchers.

The likelyhood of being able to compile an accurate list is not very high on this one. I doubt that many services who were entitled to award their personnel have kept a definitive list, compounded by the lack of naming is a recipe for disaster for future researchers.

Also.....................Personnel Departments (oooops, sorry..............HR Departments) are now run by civvies, who couldn't give a toss about keeping records on these sorts of things.

So . . . am I understanding this right . . . ?

Each relevant body (terms intentionally undefined) was simply given a number of medals to distribute: "You, the ___, have been allotted (by some magic forumla) __ Golden Jubilee Medals. Give them out to whoever you think deserves them."

Is this right?

Very similar to what I see in India with the civilian awards of the Durbar 03 and Durbar 11 and most of the WWI and WWII recruiting badges. (Even worse is the Indian Volunteer War Service Badge, 1914-18!)

No rolls as exist (sort of) for EII Coronation, GVI Coronation, GV Jubilee, etc.?

:banger:

So . . . am I understanding this right . . . ?

Each relevant body (terms intentionally undefined) was simply given a number of medals to distribute: "You, the ___, have been allotted (by some magic forumla) __ Golden Jubilee Medals. Give them out to whoever you think deserves them."

Is this right?

Hello Ed.

Not quite right.

Taking the police as an example, the qualifying criterion was to have been a serving police officer for at least 5 years up to the date of the jubilee.

Each Force was asked to supply a list of officers who fell into that group.

If the Force nominated, say 200 officers, they would get 200 medals to dish out.

That's how it worked for the police.

I think the other services were pretty much the same.

Unlike the Siver Jubilee Medal, where units such as infantry battalions were allocated 8 x medals to be divided amongst about 650 men.

So the allocation would be: start at the top rank, Lt Col, & work your way down - at one per rank you got down to about corporal.

The Scots Guards whinged that they had 8 to divode amongst 64 men, poor souls.

The Golden Jubilee at least had criteria & was awarded to all who fitted those criteria, but the Silver was merely a freebie to a few & caused resentment & scorn from those who were'nt in the favoured few.