News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian Federation awards

TacHel

Any particular reason why there's no section on modern Russian Federation awards? (or did I miss it?) :rolleyes:

I've been actively researching this field for many months now and have compiled it on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_de...sian_Federation (still ongoing work)

I have also been actively updating the OMSA database, although there is still much work to be done, many pics to be sorted, medals to be identified etc.

Hi Fran?ois,

Welcome over here. The work you have been doing on the OMSA site is fascinating and absolutely groundbreaking.

I think a separate sub-forum over here on post-Soviet Russia (and maybe the other successor republics?) would be an extremely good idea.

Cheers,

Ed

There is, alas, limited active forum interest these sad days in anything non-Teutonic. Sad. Quite sad.

Some have actually deluded themselves into thinking that that narrow area is the "majority" of the "hobby". And often pigs fly? (When we aren't watching closely?)

Some of us try to stengthen the forum with items from the "non-dark side of the force", but . . . may I show you my scars??? Even the researchable Soviet stuff is pretty flat-lined of late.

Very frustrating indeed . . . :banger:

Most GMIC denizens, sadly, don't care at all if it isn't German, and if it has a swastika they get even more joyfully engorged.

Welcome to the GMIC.

At least you won't get the abuse that lurks elsewhere?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

At least you won't get the abuse that lurks elsewhere?

The abuse was quite mild and is already forgotten... :ninja: And it honestly was better than absolute indifference. :mad:

Now you'll better understand the time elapsed from my original join date to my latest posts... :(

Edited by TacHel

Well... :(

Not exactly a wave of enthusiasm is there? :speechless:

Is there really so little interest on the subject in this forum? :o

Wecome to the forum.

There may be more like me who has a few Russian Federation awards but felt that others with a greater interest (and collection) should be the ones to support this suggestion. I would enjoy learning more but will probably still stay within my collecting comfort zone.

Regards

Brian

Learning new things, outside (WAY outside?) our "collecting comfort zone" is one of the virtues of the forum, after all?

At least I hope it is??

Hello and welcome Fran?ois, :cheers:

I think that your proposal is worth consideration, even though I do not collect,

and do not anticipate collecting, Russian Federation awards. Fifteen years ago I

would have said the same thing with regard to collecting Soviet; and yet, during

the intervening years that changed dramatically. I have even picked up a few

Mongolian and one North Korean pieces along the way :speechless1: - who

would ever have thought?

Whether a change to Russian Federation awards is in the future for me, I do not

know, but I do think that Ed Haynes? comment, above, is applicable (to all of us).

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I'd like to see this as well (although I won't have much to add I'm afraid).

Have been putting all my books from storage into cabinets in new house past days and came across some old auction catalogues. Before I knew it, i was reading through them... and noticed a transitional period Order of Friendship (without the CCCP on it but same design) - this would fall into the forum as well?

I'd like to see this as well (although I won't have much to add I'm afraid).

Have been putting all my books from storage into cabinets in new house past days and came across some old auction catalogues. Before I knew it, i was reading through them... and noticed a transitional period Order of Friendship (without the CCCP on it but same design) - this would fall into the forum as well?

Bingo! See pic below. The Russian Federation awards include many Soviet era pieces with the hammer and sickle removed, some Tsarist stuff brought back and many many completely new designs. Matter of fact, I presently have over 200 of them identified and still going... :speechless:

No Bingo

I was really referring to a transitional model which was essentially IDENTICAL to the classic one, just missing the CCCP on the banner at the bottom.

Maybe Alexei Merezhko knows more on this, understand he was focussing on figuring out the different types of this award.

No Bingo

I was really referring to a transitional model which was essentially IDENTICAL to the classic one, just missing the CCCP on the banner at the bottom.

Maybe Alexei Merezhko knows more on this, understand he was focussing on figuring out the different types of this award.

Oh... Duh... :speechless:

I've got a pic of that one somewhere... I'll find it...

If there is a demand I will happily create a forum and see what happens.

Yes please. Even with a somewhat lukewarm reception at first, there is enough new interesting stuff going on to keep people interested, IMHO, for some time to come. Who knows, it may even get some people to look at other things than swastikas...? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the sub-forum!

Now it is our duty to fill it up! Get to work, Fran?ois. And all of us need to do our part too.

I'll check to see if any RusFed items got posted in the "Rest of the World" forum (where I have the power to move them here). Someone will need to check the Soviet and "Eastern Europe" fora too.

How about one thread per award to start with? This is similar to what we have done with Mongolia and it seems to work. It also avoids multi-page jumbled threads of a bit of everthing. This may produce some duplication with what has come before, but that may be OK.

May I suggest that we include the issuing agency in the sub-title if it is not an official award. We can use Umalatova as shorthand for Ex-Presidium of the Supreme Soviet?

Good Lord! :o Where did all of this come from? :o

And here I was expecting to spend an all nighter just getting things rolling... :D

Seems there has been interest for quite a while by quite a few people! :beer: