News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's an interesting one, some sort of plaque in stamped tombak or somesuch,95mm high ,quite different from the usual design of this badge especially the reversal of colours on the centre plaque. Has two mounting holes top and bottom.Any ideas? Ferg1.

b1c0_12.jpg

Copy of what ??? The piece is clearly not a copy of a standard observer badge as it is 95mm high and has no form of pin/catch assembly. One would think that if the faker lavished this much attention to detail and form then he would take the time to get the enamel colours right , I always think in terms of how many others have I seen of this badge errrrr, none ! So unlikely to have produced one as a copy/fake piece ,sorry Rick, I don't agree. Has patina and wear that says otherwise to me,Ferg1.

Copy of what ??? The piece is clearly not a copy of a standard observer badge as it is 95mm high and has no form of pin/catch assembly. One would think that if the faker lavished this much attention to detail and form then he would take the time to get the enamel colours right , I always think in terms of how many others have I seen of this badge errrrr, none ! So unlikely to have produced one as a copy/fake piece ,sorry Rick, I don't agree. Has patina and wear that says otherwise to me,Ferg1.

Hi Ferg, vary interesting piece with a lot of questions. How does this badge was wear without pin and with this vary anussual and big holes. I think this was fixed on something for decoration and its not a badge. Maybe on a memorabilia or something else, pined with nails or something else.

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

I think this was fixed on something for decoration and its not a badge. Maybe on a memorabilia or something else, pined with nails or something else.

Regards Alex

Maybe meant to go on a wall plaque? Or does the 'wear' referred to earlier imply it was worn on/by a person?

Just a wild-a** guess, but might the reversal of the colour as have been deliberate and meant to pacify persons who might otherwise object to this piece being displayed/worn. I say that because it occurs to me that perhaps it was meant for someone who didn't quite qualify for the O. badge but thought they should have or was in some other way associated with the Observers. Maybe wearing/displaying this 'almost copy' might have satisfied the owner without annoying others who qualified for the 'real thing'. Does that make any sense, or am I reaching?

Peter

I think we can be sure that it was never intended as a badge for wear as it is far too big, it occured to me that the centre plaque are the colours of the Polish air force aren't they ? Maybe it belonged to a Polish defector :D or maybe not !! I attach a picture of the reverse(note how the prongs have been soldered together) Also a comparision with a standard issue Juncker example.Ferg1

019.jpg

024.jpg

The leaves on the wreath ,especially the oaks are quite typical in style to badge design of the 30's/40's compared to something like the Luftwaffe squadron clasps,also the granulated finish under the red enamel is very typical of the 30's.Ferg1.

Hence my list of "??????????"

Clearly meant to mimic an Observer badge, but of what, for what or why.... anyone's guess.

I have seen "copies" of Imperial Badges in all shapes and sizes. Some larger, some smaller. So oversize doesn't really tell me anything. And as far as a one-of.... doubt that very much based strictly on the tooling expenditure required to make that stamping. We've just not seen any others!

Hence my list of "??????????"

Clearly meant to mimic an Observer badge, but of what, for what or why.... anyone's guess.

I have seen "copies" of Imperial Badges in all shapes and sizes. Some larger, some smaller. So oversize doesn't really tell me anything. And as far as a one-of.... doubt that very much based strictly on the tooling expenditure required to make that stamping. We've just not seen any others!

Looked at this when on Ebay,noted central plaque is being similiar in finish to 1930s Observer badge examples,obviously colour combination is wrong !! may be an over sight or an indication of possibly reproduction status .It size and with the lack of overall quality,i would hazard a guess it was part of a commerative display piece circa 1930s.(only my humble opinion ) or as previously stated a fake !! Either way it was worth a gamble !!

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment