News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Period postcards/photographs of badges -

Luckily for us, individuals who were proud of their achievements in obtaining decorations/awards etc, companies who saw a niche in the market and of course the powers that were seeing the inevitable chance for propaganda produced postcards depicting all manner of awards. Among these were a very limited number of cards showing qualification badges of the Luftwaffe.

Up until a few years ago, certain badges were considered to be fantasy or fakes.

The old question always reared its head; ?Have you ever seen one in an original photograph??

Here are a few cards showing early examples of the Fallschirmsch?tzenabzeichen.

Any more out there?

Photographs clearly showing badges where makers can be identified would be good to see, too.

Assmann 1st pattern eagle/2nd pattern wreath.

Great photos John. I especially like the sharpness/clarity of the first one. That wreath looks more like a 1st patterrn Juncker than a 2nd pattern Assmann to me (but I'm still learning!).

:cheers:

Great photos John. I especially like the sharpness/clarity of the first one. That wreath looks more like a 1st patterrn Juncker than a 2nd pattern Assmann to me (but I'm still learning!).

Scott,

Johnny is right. Here you can see the Assmann wreath....as a matter of fact this badge may look familiar to you JTW? BTW, really nice photos John!

Edited by Tim Calvert

Scott,

Johnny is right. Here you can see the Assmann wreath....as a matter of fact this badge may look familiar to you JTW? BTW, really nice photos John!

Morning Tim..... Ah yes..Ye olde "Assmann PO with diamonds." Those were the days! I still have the badge, do you still have the same camera? :cheeky:

Happy landings, brother.

:beer:

Scott,

Most collectors will consider this type of wreath to be the "Assmann" 1st pattern....but there was an earlier type. Thus far found on PO's (only one I know of in a collection) Pilots (possibly ten known of in collections) and Para's (two known of in collections) the "Egg" shaped wreath should be considered as the true 1st pattern.

Have a read of this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10097

So, on to some more photos...

Juncker 3rd pattern Pilot's Badge. It wasn't that long ago that there was doubt that the 3rd pattern was ever produced!

Scott,

Most collectors will consider this type of wreath to be the "Assmann" 1st pattern....but there was an earlier type. Thus far found on PO's (only one I know of in a collection) Pilots (possibly ten known of in collections) and Para's (two known of in collections) the "Egg" shaped wreath should be considered as the true 1st pattern.

Oops - forgot about the egg-shaped wreath. Thanks gents.

Great photos by the way!

• 9 months later...