News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian Federation awards?

Guest Rick Research

Unsustainable, in my evaluation. ANY Current items-- really CURRENT items are always the hardest to get accurate information on and of course remain in the hands of living recipients rather than passing to collectors--unless unissued bulk stock sorts of items.

Actually, being a prehistoric beast, I can't think of ANYTHING current that I am interested in, what with my gaze firmly fixed on the fading Golden Bygone Epoch.

Contrary to Pavlovian assertions of Teutophilia, Nick has always been splendid :cheers: in creating and encouraging ANY area of interest that can breathe unassisted. And in every single case, back to the days when this website had TWO Areas (British and Everything Else), was entirely in black and white, and only operated when its server's solar panel at Chipping Ongar was in full direct sunlight (exclusive of bank holidays)

the essential to ADDING new sections is consistently simple:

posting activity.

No section is whistled up out of nothing in the expectation that it WILL be active.

ACTIVITY demonstrates that a section is needed and will continue to be active.

In this case, I don't see either pre-condition applying at all.

So while DELIGHTED to see anything from the new Federation (being an Obscure Data slut) there is not the activity or the community of active collectors NOW to justify this.

BUILD IT and it will come into existence. :beer:

Unsustainable, in my evaluation. ANY Current items-- really CURRENT items are always the hardest to get accurate information on and of course remain in the hands of living recipients rather than passing to collectors--unless unissued bulk stock sorts of items.

Actually, being a prehistoric beast, I can't think of ANYTHING current that I am interested in, what with my gaze firmly fixed on the fading Golden Bygone Epoch.

Contrary to Pavlovian assertions of Teutophilia, Nick has always been splendid :cheers: in creating and encouraging ANY area of interest that can breathe unassisted. And in every single case, back to the days when this website had TWO Areas (British and Everything Else), was entirely in black and white, and only operated when its server's solar panel at Chipping Ongar was in full direct sunlight (exclusive of bank holidays)

the essential to ADDING new sections is consistently simple:

posting activity.

No section is whistled up out of nothing in the expectation that it WILL be active.

ACTIVITY demonstrates that a section is needed and will continue to be active.

In this case, I don't see either pre-condition applying at all.

So while DELIGHTED to see anything from the new Federation (being an Obscure Data slut) there is not the activity or the community of active collectors NOW to justify this.

BUILD IT and it will come into existence. :beer:

Focusing on just one issue:

There is, at present, simply no logically coherent place to post such information. It fits in no existing category. None.

Like Mongolia (before Battushig and our forum -- dating the first Mongolian post in September 2005 and a forum in January 2006), information is thin on the ground. Fran?ois has done some important work in moving us all (himself included) toward some understanding is significant. This is a chance for this foprum to (again) be on the cutting edge. But, for some, their mothers told them never to be on the cutting edge?

To up-end Rick's metaphor: Give us a place to play and watch the information flow. Waiting for that information to be scattered abouty in the several fora that could host it seems to be guaranteed to bring incoherence and, frankly, to keep the emerging Russian Federation information off this forum and only over at the OMSA forum (where it isn't entirely welcomed). I see that as unfortunate.

If the activity over at the OMSA sub-forum (which I'm sure all of you visit) is any guide, I think Rick's worries can be put to rest: 35 threads and 368 posts since inception in November 2008. Plus, there are also just over 200 relevant items shown in the database. By the chatty standards or some of our fora that may not seem like much, but the OMSA forum is not as active as this one.

Even the Soviet awards forum has their section (79 threads, 1273 posts), but their approach differs from ours.

As you might guess, I think such a sub-forum would be a positive thing for the GMIC forum. But if the management says "No", so be it. Maybe if we gave Rick a modern Russian ribbon bar . . . ???

I don't believe only posting activity should be the criteria on which to decide whether or not a dedicated place on the forum is possible or not. While I appreciate an "other" bucket can always be useful, I've also noticed that simply providing a dedicated area (Mongolia is an example, Albania another one) helps to bring more focus and structure to relatively unserved interests... subsequently attracting more people and hus creating a wider knowledge base than if posts would just be scattered.

I don't believe only posting activity should be the criteria on which to decide whether or not a dedicated place on the forum is possible or not. While I appreciate an "other" bucket can always be useful, I've also noticed that simply providing a dedicated area (Mongolia is an example, Albania another one) helps to bring more focus and structure to relatively unserved interests... subsequently attracting more people and hus creating a wider knowledge base than if posts would just be scattered.

Well put, Bob! :beer: Hope the Bosses get the point.

We also need to remember that it is important that KNOWLEGE be gathered and shared.... it is not just about which pretties you collect!

ABSOLUTELY! But I fear most forumites don't read outside the sub-fora that focus on their own narrow collecting interests.

ABSOLUTELY! But I fear most forumites don't read outside the sub-fora that focus on their own narrow collecting interests.

Some do.

I'd give a 'thumbs-up' to a post-Soviet sub-forum. The one at SMAP is just too long and out of control.

I'd suggest at least two sub-sub-forums: Russian Federation and Ummalatova.