News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

In today from Vendor Maximus Hamburgiensis, the Prussian Lifesaving Medal, in pristine condition. It's an interesting mount, obviously for civilian wear, but why the swords? Herr Forschung, you seem to be our resident expert on this piece. Please enlighten us.

Good question and good eyes Tom. Anything else come in with this? I can offer no clue on the swords, first time I've ever seen this medal with this type of presentation.

Nope, just the medal. the swords appear to be real cast siver, but I can't get to the back due to the stitching.

I seem to remember seeing a similar stickpin type mount on a French or Belgian medal, but my memory being what it is... :(

The only thing I can think of is that this was the original owners way of showing it was won during wartime. Vets have been known to do crazy unauthorized things with their medals, attachments that do not belong there, attachments that do belong that are missing, medals worn on wrong ribbons etc. Once men were out of the service, they wore them on civilian clothes as they saw fit. I agree that it was probably on a medal bar at one time, however the original owner may have felt it was easier to wear on his civvies like this. Whatever the story, it is a fine piece and a testament to the personality of the original owner. Tom, a similar pin was issued with WW1 French Croix du Guerre's etc. It was of steel, but had two pins for wearing on the uniform. I believe this is an earlier one off type piece.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Yup, great medal with completely :speechless: Xs on the ribbon. Even the almost-not-quite French pin prong is odd.

This falls into the category of "ya never know."

i've done a bit of asking around...

the rettungsmedaille was a civil order which

could be awarded to both civilian AND military.

even von hinderburg had one!

there is no statute for a sword appurtenance,

but given the poetic license of the era, it is not

a complete surprise to see this device on the

ribbon.

it ALWAYS gives me pause when i see an award

that has been removed from a grouping, presumably...

i wish some folks would just LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!!

this is a very nice piece.

joe

I agree with Joe. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of sellers out there willing to rip apart medal bars, split up groups, etc. But I do always feel compelled to mention that many, many dealers do try to keep groups together and sell them intact.... but a buyer rarely steps up to the plate. It's because of this that I refrain from buying bigger groups anymore as there's just a limited market for them after the fact. A sad, but true commentary.