News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I?ve had this medal bar and ribbon bar since the mid 90?s. I have always wondered why the Hessen Bravery ribbon on the ribbon bar appears to be substituted with that of the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross.

At first glance, I thought that the blue color was faded through time, but I do not see any traces of it. The other possibility is that the only ribbon available at the time was that of the Hanseatic Cross, but this is very difficult to believe.

I guess, my question is whether or not this disparity has been seen before on other bars, and what reasons could there be for it to occur. Is this medal bar fake? If it isn?t, could it be traceable?

Thanks

ob17mu.jpg

ob36cu.jpg

ob21sr.jpg

That is odd, and notice that the ribbon for the Saxon Albrechtsorden is reversed on the bar, it should be like the feldspange, green with white stripes. Could you post a scan of the reverse of the bar?

Guest Rick Research

I don't see aanything wrong with either, but always like to see the reverse too.

As things now are, we will not have a complete list of Bavarian Military Merit Order 4X recipients who were not Bavarian (and from this combination, I'd say he wasn't) until Bernd's new vastly improved award rolls come out, this year or next. The only existing published Roll, done in the mid 1990s by the late Erhard Roth, only show awards of the BMV4X down to Captains-- and from the Saxon Albert Order here, this man was a Lieutenant during the war.

Roman is also working on a Roll for all German recipients of the Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross, so when THAT comes out, this one will have 3 awards to triangulate an ID from among "suspects" who left military service after 1918.

I assure you, without doubt, the robin's egg blue on the ribbon bar for the Hessian Bravery Medal has simply faded away with all this time. It was not a color fast dye-- not to last 60 years. The red stripes and edges are completely different for a Hamburg Hanseatic.

Very nice looking bar, impressive combination for a junior officer-- and a nice paired set.

Guest Rick Research

Yup. That's why need to see reverse. If all checks out there, it was just a dumb mistake.

I find it hard to believe that any self-respecting Ordensjuwelier would mix up the SAO and the SVO ribbons, given that these decorations are commonly found. Besides, he seemed to have the mini ribbons for the Feldspange, so very odd.