News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I bought this bar in December of last year and it was missing the second medal. Easy enough to replace as several dealers have them available but for some reason I just let this sit for a while. While on vacation in December I was looking at the other items the Ebay seller that sold me the bar had sold and I saw that the medal was sold as a single weeks before the bar! No way to predict this and save the set and I was a little pained by this.

A few weeks ago I was talking to an old collecting friend and we were going over the "what's new" lists. I mentioned this bar and he informed me that I had outbid him on it. He mentioned that --- he had the single medal from this buyer!!!! :jumping:

So my old Austrian documents that I bought in Speyer went to his house and the medal...

The 1870/71 KDM is steel.
    Nice looking bar, so a non-combatant 1870 / 71 medal on a combatant ribbon,

is that known to have happened? Has it been seen before, pictured in period pictures?

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Nice bar and story! :cheers:

is that known to have happened? Has it been seen before, pictured in period pictures?

Well, according to J. Nimmergut, opus magnum V, there were

- 1,107,756 in "Bronze am Band f?r Kombattanten"

- 341,949 in "Stahl am Band f?r Kombattanten"

- 57,094 in "Stahl am Band f?r Nicht-Kombattanten"

awarded. Not to uncommon.

Many thanks for that information, :jumping: do you know why this was done?

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

It had to do with the combatant status of the individual. RR can say more (indeed I think there's a thread on these).

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that Doctors/medical/ nurses who ran field hospitals in France originally were given combatant medals in 1872/3 and then a year later-got noncombat medals. I have seen THREE groups like this over the past decade, with the documents.

Guest Rick Research

Superb bar in fantastic condition and CONGRATULATIONS not only on a restoration but on the actual reunification!

The steel medal on combatant ribbon was given to stay at homes. Irrationally, non-arms bearers who served in combat got the steel on noncombatants medal. Should have been the other way around, but somebody wasn't thinking straight at the Prussian Orders Chancery. :speechless:

Remember this one?

Remember this one?

Sure, I do. Even yout matching chain.. Not to common. :catjava:

Mike, I don't know. Maybe he got the one from this regulations and then the other one after that regulations. There was some changes in the awarding rules for those, if I remember correctly. However, I'm pretty sure he should only have worn one of those two.