News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My favourite early K?d?r uniforms

Gents,

What about starting a topic on our favourite uniforms? Let us post original photos and pics of our own pieces...

1. photo: I am beginning with my very best of, a 1957M general's uniform. You can see the beautiful embroidered oak leves and the early pattern cap still with an officer's badge.

2. photo: the second photo shows a tankist lt-col in a 1957M white (allowed) uniform with the beatiful white top-black standing part peaked cap.

3. photo: the third photo shows two brothers, one of them in a 1950/1958M sailor, the other in a 1958M enlisted summer walking-out uniform. The shirt (ingbl?z) on the sitting guy is the latter, green pattern, introduced around 1962-63.

4. photo: the fourth photo shows an enlisted soldier in a 1958M walking-out uniform. The tunic is made of wool, these pieces are very-very rare todays. The peaked cap seems to be a pre-1958 one.

Regards, Sandor

4. photo: the fourth photo shows an enlisted soldier in a 1958M walking-out uniform. The tunic is made of wool, these pieces are very-very rare todays. The peaked cap seems to be a pre-1958 one.

Here is one of these that I have - as Sandor says they are very rare. This one came out of a Budapest Theatre, but they had modified it to resemble a Horthy era tunic. (WW2). This has been the best that I have been able to reconstruct it with the extra parts that I had. Probably not "textbook", but its an example.

Sandor,

Great photos! I especially like the first one of the General. I note several interesting things about this photo.

First-he is only wearing the Soviet Academy badge and not a Hungarian one as well.

second-he is wearing an Annual Parade Badge of the design first introduced in 1960 so the picture had to be taken no earlier than 4 April, 1960.

thirdly-I can not quite make out what badge he is wearing just under the Soviet Akademy badge. Would you post a scan of just that area of the photo showing the badge please. It looks similar to the badge below but I do not think that it is this badge.

Regards,

Gordon

Sorry if we are only doing perido photos - If we are not I will pull them. But if its OK - here is another one of my favorites. M51 tunic of the pre 1956 revolution, which was modified per 1957 regulations, these tunics could be worn in this manner up to 1959. Though the boards cant be seen very well in this photo, they are for an Infantry Captain

Gordon,

Unfortunately I don't have the original "paper" photo of the general, I only have an already scanned version. Anyhow I tried to do a little magic, please see the outcome.

Charles,

Well, I must say I am pale of jealousy, you have an original 1958M walking-out (wool) enlisted tunic! I guess you and the Museum of Military History are the only ones who do have... However please allow me some remarks. The shoulder boards are not consistent with this tunic at all, as enlisted ranks used to be worn on the collar. Moreover, instead of shoulder boards enlisted tunics had shoulder straps made of the same material as the tunic itself. Also the collar devices seem to be officer ones, if their size is 2,5x7,0 cms, then they are not enlisted ones (enlisted ones were of 3,2x8,0 cms).

Sometimes it happened that officers and NCO's modified and used enlisted stuff. For example I have already seen modified 1947M and 1949M enlisted tunics, and also 1987M sailor pants. However 1958M enlisted tunics were very rare and very well kept by the army in the first years after their introduction, so I can't imagine that any of them had been modified to an officer's or NCO's 1957M field tunic. Especially as the wool field tunics had been taken out of use already in 1959-1960, first by officer's than by NCO's.

Don't you want to trade the tunic? I would need only the tunic without the effects. I have a spare pair of collar devices, would only need the shoulder straps... If you would be interested, you could ask anything from my collection. Almost anything :-)

As per your 1957 modified 1951M, that's a really beautiful one. I like these tunics very much though I don't collect them at all. The most interesting in the 1956-57 modicifations is that the variety is enormous, you can find all combinations...

Regards, Sandor

Well, let's see then my favourites of my collection. You might have already realized that I have a special affinity towards 1957M uniforms. So I am showing you those. Three of the tunics are dress (t?rsas?gi) ones, one is field (gyakorl?). Two are made of winter (f?sűs) material, two of summer (tropik?l). Three have waistcuts, one does not have. The caps also show a huge variety as per colours and material. Enjoy, Sandor

Kedves Sandor!

Kosonom hogy segit engem!

As I had said, the tunic came out of a Budapest theater company and has the anoying (?) little tag on the interior. When I aquired this and a very interesting "Flotilla" type tunic of the Rakosi period in tabor barna color (camp brown) I took them to Tamas at the museum. He imediatley pulled out this officers tunic of the infantry. He did not show me any enlisted, though I am sure there were some, so hence I scoured to find officer boards and tabs. When I talked with Tamas, he assured me that both officers and enlisted wore these. You can just barely see the piping along the edge of the green colored boards. So - now I am confused. :unsure: as I would consider both you and Tamas as the more educated in these regions. I would need to know something definite as I am about to publish on these - if its all wrong I need to get it out of the book. As for a trade - PM me and we can discuss.

udv!

Charles

Charles, I will clear this with Tam?s, and come back to you. No doubt that officer's and NCO's used to wear the 1957M wool field tunic, but I suppose they were of the older, waistcut pattern. The wool uniform was pulled out just two years after its introduction in 1959-60. It was not mandatory to throw them out, they could be worn until 1965, but new pieces were not produced. This is important as the new, no-waistcut pattern dress tunics were introduced only in 1961. Regards: Sandor

Edited by Sandor Molnar