News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish Medal Bar

Dear forumites,

I'd like to show you something that it's new to me and, strangely enough, not Imperial German. Still the quality of the Jewellers made Northern Europe Orders are quite stunning, to say the least.

Here is a description of the orders and medals in the medal bar of the Componist and military music conductor, Ille Gustafsson:

? Sweden, Gustav V:s minnesmedalj

? Sweden, Sv?rdsorden, knight grade cross

? Sweden, Vasaorder, knight grade cross

? Sweden, Sveriges Orkesterf?reningars Riksf?rbund, Reverse with name inscription and date 26.3.1938

? Sweden, F?rtj?nsttecken i guld f?r Ryttarolympiaden Stockholm

? Sweden, Civilf?rsvarsf?rbundet medalj i silver

? Danemark, Dannebrogen Order, knight grade cross

? Norway, Saint Olaf's Order, knight grade cross, GOLD

? Iceland, Order of the falcon, knight grade cross

? United Kingdom, Royal Victorian Order, MVO (member), no. on the reverse 720

More about Ille Gustafsson (only in Swedish):

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ille_Gustafsson

http://www.militarmusiksamfundet.com/show_....asp?id=sveadef

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Very, very nice bar :love:

Interesting to note that this Dannebrog order was awarded in the short time span 1947-52, where it would look like this, i.e. bearing the cypher of King Frederik IX (1947-72) but no rosette on the ribbon.

In 1952 the Knight class was divided in two - the Knight 1.class cross in gold (gilt) and enamel with a rosette on the ribbon and the Knight cross in silver and enamel and no rosette on the ribbon.

Checking Mr. Gustafsson in the handbooks reveals that the order was awarded 9. October 1947.

/Mike

Mike, this is the perpetual problem with Swedish medal- or ribbon bars i.e it was not common practice to use a rosette (button). This was no problem regarding the medal bars as the 2nd class was in silver, but the distinction could not be made when viewing a ribbon bar. The lack of buttons, as well as silver or gold coloured stripes, also made it impossible to tell the difference between a Knight 1st class or a Commander.

Claudio, that's an excellent medal bar :cheers:

cheers

Peter

Thanks for that info Peter, I wasn't aware of that...

So - just by coincidence - the Dannebrog is correct on this bar :D

I have however often seen Swedish medal bars - especially those with the 'rounded ribbon at the bottom' mounting style with miniature rosettes on the ribbon (the rosette size you would expect on a ribbon bar).

Any idea why - if you decided to actually wear a rosette - you chose the miniature one instead of the normal sized one?

/Mike

Claudio,

I don't know if you already know, but you can use the hallmarks to date the pieces (maybe not so important here where you already know the recipient).

The A9 on the "Civilf?rsvarsf?rbundet medalj i silver" means 1951.

/Mike

Claudio,

I don't know if you already know, but you can use the hallmarks to date the pieces (maybe not so important here where you already know the recipient).

The A9 on the "Civilf?rsvarsf?rbundet medalj i silver" means 1951.

/Mike

Yes I know... that's why I am posting them... ;-)

Nice bar Claudio!

I did a quick search for him to see if I could find a pic. No luck, but I did find a medal/order related text. It's about the lanyard on the musicians uniform.

[...] musikinspekt?ren Ille Gustafsson var noga med att dra den ?t sidan f?r att alla medaljer och utm?rkelser skulle synas.

Music inspector Ille Gustafsson was careful to pull it [ the lanyard /my comment] aside so that all the medals and decorations could bee seen. I guess he proud to show them of.

Also I saw that www.gamlachristianstad.nu is planing an article about him in the next yearbook.

/Kim

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

From Patrick Street's article on known numbers of the M.V.O. in the Winter 1993 issue of the O.M.R.S. Journal-- probably circa 1919.

But from Peter Wray's dated numbers in the Winter 1994 issue of the same magazine, number 724 was awarded 9 July 1909 which suggests a first half of 1909 presentation for yours.

Wow Very nice bar !

If anyone didn´t understand the swedish info about him here is a short translation

Born Aug 17 1898 in Svalöv, (very south of Sweden)

Died July 3 1981.

Joined the army as music student 1912 at Karlskrona Gren Rgt

MusicDir 1921

Music Dir at Infanterie Rgt no 1. Life Guards Stockholm 1944-1957 (The oldest Army Regiment in Sweden!)

Christer

• 4 months later...