News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe General's tabs

Good evening all!

I am thinking about picking these up. I see no red flags with this set, but I could have missed something. Also, I have no experience with General Officer insignia.

Please tell me your thoughts! It will be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Paul Reck

This set of tabs accompanies a bunch of others(That I am confident are real) are being sent to me. I have not paid for them yet but the real reason I was interested in the lot was for these tabs as well as a few shoulder boards that are in another thread in the LW Uniforms Forum.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

I have moved the items not dealing the the title of the thread into their own threads in this section of the forum. Thanks again... I look forward to your thoughts.

Edited by Paul Reck

Paul,

I hate commenting on items like this that I have not had the opportunity to inspect first-hand, espacially as my interest in Luftwaffe collar tabs has virtually dried up.

That being said, the general quality of the tabs shown above are not what I would expect to see on authentic pieces.

Since the perceived quality of the bullion work is difficult to judge from the available image resolution, my main gripe is with the alignment of the insignia with reference to the tab edges. They just seem to be sufficiently off-centre, or closer to one edge than the other, that I would reject them as unacceptably poor quality, or rather modern copies.

I am sure there are better pieces to be found.

David

David,

Thank you for your input. I will post better pics when they come in. I know that the pics are not the clearest and I do see your point. I will do more research and more than likely return these to the seller.

These tabs are part of a considerable lot that I have posted in this area of the forum. Thankfully, the arrangement is that I dont send my trade item until I have received and inspected the tabs. I do hope that they are real as I would be making out big time in the agreement.

Your input is very important to me. Thank you all.

Warm regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Paul,

The best would be to have clear pics of General's tabs worn - the decision to keep or return them will then come from you

Good Point, Fran?ois. I will start looking through my books. I wish I could find a complete set of Angolia books!

:cheers:

Regards

Paul

Well here's mine for comparison. They are a little grubby to say the least, but it is consistent grub. Note that this General had an extra wing added to his existing collar patches upon promotion (the cheapskate!)

Regards,

Pete

Obv.

Thank you for the enhancement Pete. I do see what you mean. Absence of discoloration around the embroidery... I was hoping that it was some some of photographic disortion from the flash or shadowing. I cannot wait to get these in hand to do a better exam.

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Well, I did find a set of tabs where the insignia is off center in a photograph. This photo comes from page 52 of UNIFORMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE LUFTWAFFE, Vol I by Brian L Davis. I am not holding my breath on the tabs enrout to me being real, I was just going though some of my books and found a simular set in wear(even though the photo quality is not the best!).

Edited by Paul Reck

Hi Paul,

Saw your PM and just found the thread. : )

Its hard to tell about the GO tabs. I have only handled a few sets (own one which I pictured in another thread) so I have no great experience in these. As for centering on the tabs I have seen plenty of lower rank tabs that were fine but were not centered so I would not be overly concerned about that. The white material looks unusual to me, as does the distribution of the dirt. Since these are handmade I would expect variations among them. As has been mentioned look for quality, you will be able to tell best when you get them in hand. Some tabs used 2 tone bullions to accent the details. I cant tell if this is the case on these. jason Burmeister has a nice tarnished pair of tabs if you can wait till the SOS to make your choice. You might want to also look at Winklers site. He has several pair of GO Luft tabs there. At least it wil be a point of comparison.

I dont know much about the shoulder boards you asked about. Contact Garth Thompson. he has a really nice selection of tabs and boards and might be able to assist.

Oh, I believe I was bidding against you yesterday. I only noticed after I submitted my bid...sorry about that! I needed a nice EK/WW ribbon bar to match a medal bar I have!

Gary B

closeup

Edited by Gary B

No problem on the little bidding war...lol. I was actually bidding on that bar for the same reason. I have a nice two place EK/WW medal bar.

Thank you for your information and I will PM Garth on on the General's tabs. I am still not holding out any faith on these being real... but I am not throwing them out either. Who knows... I will check out Mr Winkler's site tonight.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Dear Paul,

I had one "small" problem on the bidding war....I lost! :lol:

One other thing I noticed on the GO tabs. The white thread on the reverse which holds the bullion twisted cord to the tab is a brilliant white and does not appear consistent with the dirt on the rest of the white. Just somehting to think about.

Gary

No problem on the little bidding war...lol. I was actually bidding on that bar for the same reason. I have a nice two place EK/WW medal bar.

Thank you for your information and I will PM Garth on on the General's tabs. I am still not holding out any faith on these being real... but I am not throwing them out either. Who knows...

Regards

Paul

You are absolutely correct(bright white thread) and this is my biggest personal issue with the tabs at the moment. Most of the ones i have seen are as above with the gold thread holding the piping onto the tab. I will post better scans when they arrive. Worst case scenerio... it will be a nice one for the fakes thread I have going! I am not feeling too bady for what I paid for the entire grouping, I still more than made out!

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

I just checked my GO tabs, the ones on the original cardboard (the ones I pictured with the NSFK tabs), and they have the yellow/gold thread used to attach the twisted cord to the tabs. Just FYI.

Gary

You are absolutely correct(bright white thread) and this is my biggest personal issue with the tabs at the moment. Most of the ones i have seen are as above with the gold thread holding the piping onto the tab. I will post better scans when they arrive. Worst case scenerio... it will be a nice one for the fakes thread I have going! I am not feeling too bady for what I paid for the entire grouping, I still more than made out!

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...