News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi. Have been offered a medal bar with this Hohenzollern Order on it. Is it a period original? The maker mark looks a little half struck to me but could be the sellers pictures. The Maker is JG & S and silverstamp "938".

Thanks

:cheers:

Edited by General2

that's the bar that runs at ebay now.

Regards Alex

Thanks Alex! :cheers: Whats the opinion guys? The missing medals come with the bar so they would have to be sewn on...thy are a KVK w/oX and a 25 Year Service Cross for Faithful Service. I have been offered the bar off ebay as such for under just over 800euro...this a good price?

Thanks

John

Guest Rick Research

The really sad thing is that I'd bet the seller stupidly pulled the awards off to put this up on eCrap with their stupid no swastikas rule. :banger:

Sewing things back in that have been pulled off is not as easy at it sounds. These bars were constructed from the inside out, not the outside in. Like virginity, once lost--the historical integrity is GONE. There can never be any future certainty that what has been reattached IS what was on there to begin with.

That seems to be the case here (what a pointless, stupid shame)... but what is somebody years from now going to think, seeing the restoration repairs?

Yup, the paranoia surrounding the swastika in Germany has reached epic proportions. I guess they don't want to admit that this was the national symbol for 12 years. And Rick is right about re-attaching medals to a spange. I've done it a few times, and the results are never great.

Yup, the paranoia surrounding the swastika in Germany has reached epic proportions. I guess they don't want to admit that this was the national symbol for 12 years. And Rick is right about re-attaching medals to a spange. I've done it a few times, and the results are never great.

Actually, the paranoia is mostly from outside of Germany. Travel through Deutschland from flea market to flea market or militaria dealer to dealer... You'll see more swastikas there then in 1933! All they do is stick the price sticker on top of the swastika to hide it, very often barely even partially. I've been to militaria dealers there that had back rooms that looked like bloody party headquarters with banners, flags, awards, posters, busts of "H" himself! Dealers don't even hide the swastikas if the items are inside their shop, even when in the front window.

But this seller was a moron, all he had to do was to photoshop over the swastikas without permanently maiming this fine set.

The funniest thing is that they deny this to awards and medals , but stamps, coins books and other crap are there with full swastika's and Hitler's face.

Did you ever make a search about stamps to see them? These got the "green" light to get into an auction while medals are the "black" sheeps of the family.

I cannot imagine why they do not accept the simple rule that these things represent collectable things and nothing more than that?

Sad stupid rule, no doubt.

Edited by Emanuel